To All Wal-Mart Docs...

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stonegoat

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received a letter from our college today concerning Wal-Mart's initiative to offer "sight-testing" by opticians at their stores that have opticals. They are planning on launching 2 pilot projects in BC....one in Kamloops and one in Terrace.

So...do you think your province/state is far behind?!? It's time we projected the professionalism we hold and get the F**k out of commercial:cool:

Members don't see this ad.

can u elaborate a bit? r u an optometrist?

which college (BCCO)?

getting out of commercial - that's what WM is trying to do with us by replacing us with opticians.

I'm an OD in private practice.

The letter was from the BC Board (soon to be College) of optometry.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone think this is really what walmart wants or is it their response to the difficulty recruiting OD's to their stores in many parts of Canada? Now I may be totally off base here, but I think it would be cheaper for them to just have OD's on location no? The equipment is less expensive, no eyelogics needed, no salary and benefits to pay the refracting optician, very likely to have fewer remakes, the independent OD is solely responsible for any malpractice liability vs. an employed optician.

What ever happened to all those F-ups from BC opticians missing pathology? Didn't any of those patients file complaints and file malpractice claims???

This is an unrelated topic, but since Canadians have posted here I might as well ask to get a legitimate answer.

There is only 1 english speaking optometry school in Canada.
Is it likely that a new optometry school will open up in Canada ?

This is an unrelated topic, but since Canadians have posted here I might as well ask to get a legitimate answer.

There is only 1 english speaking optometry school in Canada.
Is it likely that a new optometry school will open up in Canada ?
No, extremely unlikely.