to apply or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOC2KGILL

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys,
a bit confused.please give some advice.i got 88 in step 1 and i think will get the step 2 results in a day or so.going for CS last week of nov.do u think i should apply this year.is there a chance of getting interviews?am i too late for it?

Members don't see this ad.

Ummm, I'm a bit confused, too. What are you applying to? Why have you waited this long to apply? What in the world will you do if you don't apply this year??? You have taken all your exams, everyone gets all As in fourth year. Basically, your life has been determined by you.

What would be the benefit of waiting?

thanks for replying.ya you are right;actually i should have done it last month.i want to apply for internal med and anesthesia.i thought it would be better to get step 2 results before i apply since i am a FMG.its driving me nuts now.well,i am going to do it now.hope this last minute rush works for me.

You should apply as soon as possible. You already have some factors that are hurting the strength of your applications (i. applying late in the cycle, ii. FMG status), so why keep waiting? Your scores come in when they come in and that's no reason to further delay your (already late) applications!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to be politely honest here, I wouldn't hold out too much hope for the Anesthesia gig. They've been handing out interviews since early October. By now they have made it into their second wave of invites, yet they haven't even seen your app. 88 is a fine score, but you usually need higher as an FMG. Folks with >90 are getting outright rejected from mid-tier schools.

You should be fine with IM, though. Don't be choosy with the apps, either. Far and wide.

yup u guys are right.well,anasthesia is just the dream thing,practically i am aiming for IM.thanks for the input.