To aProgDirector: ERAS question re AMG on F1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

salice

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an international student on F1 visa who will graduate from a US med school. I will apply for EAD for the first year, followed by H2B for the remaining years. On ERAS, do I mark both EAD and H2B or only EAD for now?

Also, I'm applying to one of the more competitive fields. Do program directors take my status into consideration when granting me an interview or does this become an issue for the residency administration only after I have been accepted?

FSM bless!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an international student on F1 visa who will graduate from a US med school. I will apply for EAD for the first year, followed by H2B for the remaining years. On ERAS, do I mark both EAD and H2B or only EAD for now?

Also, I'm applying to one of the more competitive fields. Do program directors take my status into consideration when granting me an interview or does this become an issue for the residency administration only after I have been accepted?

I would mark both. Your EAD will be from your OPT status, but you should be clear up front that you want an H1b in the long run.

Yes, your visa need might be used to decide to interview you. There is nothing you can do about this, and it's likely going to play a very small role as you are at a US medical school.

FSM bless!
May you be touched by his noodly appendages in all the right places!

I am in the same situation. Do you recommend checking off both H1-B and J-1 even though I am really hoping that the program will sponsor me for H1-B? Thanks!

I am in the same situation. Do you recommend checking off both H1-B and J-1 even though I am really hoping that the program will sponsor me for H1-B? Thanks!

I would also be interested in the answer to this question.

I'm currently a F1 student at a US med school. I am applying for my US permanent residency (via marriage) and will likely get it in 6 months before I start my residency.
I don't know what to select on ERAS, I don't need any of the visa types listed on ERAS, there's a choice of immigrant or other. don't know what to choose??
If anyone knows please let me know.

If both H and J are acceptable, then check both. If not, check only H.

I'm currently a F1 student at a US med school. I am applying for my US permanent residency (via marriage) and will likely get it in 6 months before I start my residency.
I don't know what to select on ERAS, I don't need any of the visa types listed on ERAS, there's a choice of immigrant or other. don't know what to choose??
If anyone knows please let me know.

Under citizen type, choose Permanent Resident. Then leave the visa section blank, as you will not need a visa.

Addendum: It appears that the correct citizenship status would be "conditional permanent resident".

Last edited:
Hello aProgDir.

so I am married and my wife is US citizen. I have been under process for the past 7-8 months and will be getting my "green card" shortly (confiremd with USCIS, should take 6-8 more months).

I was picking EAD (as that is what I have right now) and "foreign national" on citizenship status. Should I pick "conditional permemant resident" then? this is per your advice to above poster. I'm confused what to do as I am not a conditional permenant resident yet, but will get the green card in 6-8 more months.

Also, if I were to change this on my profile on ERAS (I submnitted sept 1st) would push me back to sept 15th on PD worstation?!! that would be bad 0- or does it just update my profile without sending the whole application?

Thanks for help on this crucial issue

Hello aProgDir.

so I am married and my wife is US citizen. I have been under process for the past 7-8 months and will be getting my "green card" shortly (confiremd with USCIS, should take 6-8 more months).

I was picking EAD (as that is what I have right now) and "foreign national" on citizenship status. Should I pick "conditional permemant resident" then? this is per your advice to above poster. I'm confused what to do as I am not a conditional permenant resident yet, but will get the green card in 6-8 more months.

Also, if I were to change this on my profile on ERAS (I submnitted sept 1st) would push me back to sept 15th on PD worstation?!! that would be bad 0- or does it just update my profile without sending the whole application?

Thanks for help on this crucial issue

Whether you mention an EAD or CPR as your visa options (or both) is not terribly important. Both allow you to work without restructions. If you're pretty sure you'll have a GC by July 1st, then I would choose CPR.

Updating your profile does not change the date on your application.