To: Current OCPM Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sguiliana

OCPM Class of 2013
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A question to current OCPM students: during the first two years how much do you study out of the books? I heard for biochemistry for example there's some website that's a big help - brainslicer, or something like that? How much are you spending on books per year, and are they helpful. Any insight is appreciated...

Members don't see this ad.

I've only finished my 1st semester so I can only comment on that. I spent a whopping $0 on books. Only thing I would buy is an atlas, but I already had that in electronic format. I know we need Bates physical diagnosis book for next semester though. So far for all the classes we have been given course notes. Brainslicer is good to sign up for. I would just split the cost with a friend.

I've only finished my 1st semester so I can only comment on that. I spent a whopping $0 on books. Only thing I would buy is an atlas, but I already had that in electronic format. I know we need Bates physical diagnosis book for next semester though. So far for all the classes we have been given course notes. Brainslicer is good to sign up for. I would just split the cost with a friend.

im a third year .... i wouldnt waste any money on books besides an anatomy atlas,there are multiple copies of textbooks, if you feel the need to use them in the library.... and yes you absolutely want to get a bates, Dr. Robinson writes the test from the text and not her lectures. ( this is for the first year .... pay attention to anything in the margins written in red and charts/diagrams, her tests are VERY detail oriented. one word in a choice for an answer to the Q can make that whole choice wrong) I would personally save ur money to buy the more expensive surgery texts( McGLAMRY'S- should wait till the new editions comes out, CHANGs,) that you will need and use more often in your second and third years.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a fourth year student and honestly from my experience I can tell you that this will depend largely on your ability to keep up with the material. The books are available at the library and you are responsible to know the lecture material as well as supplementary readings from the textbooks. I remember for Microbiology, I used the texts moreso than the lecture notes and same for pathology and pharmacology. I recommend having some texts to supplement the lecture material, specifically path and micro. These books are available at the library so you can theoretically get away without buying them but you're taking on a risk of not having them readily available at your convenience or schedule.

I agree with the previous poster regarding the Bates and Anatomy atlas. Both are a must and I recommend going for Netter's (personal preference). When you get to your clinical years, I'd recommend McGlammry's because you will need to know the info there (boards, externships, interviews). Hope that helps.

All you have to do at OCPM is learn the professors notes... that is all... it is cake... (3rd year... almost done)

Ok.........So.....Spring semester has stated....I was the ONLY student registered for biochemistry, & now the class will be eventually canceled (@ my school it takes at least 3 students for a class to start)....

I'm pretty scared since I start OCPM in the fall & I won't have taken Biochem.....Am I @ a HUGE disadvantage since I haven't as compared to other students??----I will put in the time to learn the material, but I feel behind since other students will be reviewing it rather than learning it 4 the first time like me..

I did fine in OChem 1&2 (B+ in both) & Molecular Cell Biology (A)...

Maybe I'm freaking out, but I wanted to take it, & it's out of my hands.....:scared:

Feedback is appreciated....
Thanks in advance...

Ok.........So.....Spring semester has stated....I was the ONLY student registered for biochemistry, & now the class will be eventually canceled (@ my school it takes at least 3 students for a class to start)....

I'm pretty scared since I start OCPM in the fall & I won't have taken Biochem.....Am I @ a HUGE disadvantage since I haven't as compared to other students??----I will put in the time to learn the material, but I feel behind since other students will be reviewing it rather than learning it 4 the first time like me..

I did fine in OChem 1&2 (B+ in both) & Molecular Cell Biology (A)...

Maybe I'm freaking out, but I wanted to take it, & it's out of my hands.....:scared:

Feedback is appreciated....
Thanks in advance...

i didnt take biochem in undergrad and i did fine in the course; i felt the same as you did, but once the course started it all made sense to me... and i learned quickly to keep up with the reactions and stuff. Tim is a very, very good professor and presents difficult concepts in a very coherent manner... he also writes for the podiatry boards, so he is keen to what appears the most etc.

about 70%, id say, of my class took undergrad biochem and those who i have spoken with said that either they forgot most of it anyway, or that graduate professional school biochemistry has a bit of a different focus than their undergraduate, so they still studied the same amount as those of us who did not take it in undergrad.

Same experience as Ham.

I didnt take biochem as an undergrad, did fine in all other undergrad pre-med classes though, still thought i might be at a disadvantage, but ended up doing very well regardless.

In fact thats been my experience with all of our classes. I took literally no upper division science courses outside of the basic requirements, no anatomy, no micro, no histo no nothing.....long as ya aren't ******ed and dont have terrible study habits youll do just fine. I wouldnt stress.

I woulnd't say it's your traditional biochem class. Tim makes it pretty easy to pass.