to "Destroy" or not to destroy "DAT" is the question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DDSurfer

Cheeeeeze
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So... I've heard it's worth it and it isn't from browsing the forum... I have many of the kaplan books I got from my friend with the flashcards and all...

Is it worth the investment of getting the DAT Destroyer with the OChem book also for the "bargain" price of $250?:D

Being a student... a price like that is worth it so long I only have to take the DAT once and I get in... but with all the books I've got already is this just going to be overkill?

Cheers :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on what you already know. It's certainly possible to get good scores with just kaplan... but many people seem to have been helped greatly by using destroyer. I don't have any personal experience yet with destroyer, so I'm not going to vote (although I do plan on ordering it when I begin studying).

This has been covered so much already. Look - if you're agonizing so much about the cost then don't get it. It's not a magic bullet or anything. Whether or not you do well on the test has more to do with your own abilities/aptitude than anything else.

I've never used the extra orgo bargain book. I had a kickass orgo teacher at my school, so what ever the main destroyer book had was good enough for me. I have the kaplan flash cards, but they were on things like the mitochondria, or I-bands, or simple orgo rxns.... stuff that is really too easy to be seen on the DAT. For my recent exam, on the orgo section... the DAT seems to be obsessed with the Jones Reagent... just a heads up on that. Otherwise, u should be ok. :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
I've never used the extra orgo bargain book. I had a kickass orgo teacher at my school, so what ever the main destroyer book had was good enough for me. I have the kaplan flash cards, but they were on things like the mitochondria, or I-bands, or simple orgo rxns.... stuff that is really too easy to be seen on the DAT. For my recent exam, on the orgo section... the DAT seems to be obsessed with the Jones Reagent... just a heads up on that. Otherwise, u should be ok. :cool:

Ya, I saw that I thought it would be overkill... I'm just trying to get a head start on starting to review from now on and this way I will "hopefully" understand things in the longer run and it won't come down to just cramming which is what I'm just trying to aviod.

I don't plan on taking the DAT for another year since I've got OChem/BioChem still to get through. And I've heard that even though BioChem isn't on the DAT it helps on encompassing lots of overall ideas in OChem.

But thanks for the advice since I'm still a Noob and for the Votes.:D