To divulge in a physical disability or not?

Started by dkociuba
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dkociuba

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am currently applying to vet school and I am starting to write a bunch of personal statements. I am wondering whether or not to include that I had retinoblastoma as a child, resulting in the loss of one of my eyes. It is basically something that I have grown up with and do not find it really a "disability" because I still have vision. Yes, my depth perception could be "limited", but truly I wouldn't know if it is or not because I have never been able to not do something. (I have great hand eye coordination from playing sports).

My questions is if this is something that can help me in my application or in the end it is something that can hurt me. Yes, schools cannot reject me for having a disability (there is some law against it), but they can deny me and put me in the category of "we did not have room for you do to limited space although you met all the qualifications" with the possible thought of having one eye can limit my surgery abilities and so on. Then again, this could be something unique and it can help me.

I have looked online and really haven't found any information on one eyed vets or doctors so I don't really know where my situation stands.

If anyone has any advice, or know of a similar circumstance including a disability during an application that would be amazing. Even just saying include or not include would be helpful.
 
Hey there dkociuba,

I personally don't think losing one eye will necessarily hurt you since you still have vision (and it sounds like you will be able to pass any physical requirements -a few vet schools have them on their website if you really dig through). In my opinion, if you can connect it back to vet med and want to put it in your personal statement I don't see why you can't include it. It's all up to what's important to you.

There was a LSU student that recently graduated vet school without hands (Link to article: https://www1.vetmed.lsu.edu/PDFs/La Veterinaire/item59182.pdf), so it is most certainly possible to get into and survive vet school with a physical disability.
 
You are welcome to PM me @dkociuba. I have a very similar situation and it hasn't affected my vet school career at all. In fact, I finish next week and start an internship 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Your application is about selling you to vet school.

The ONLY reason you mention it is if it helps to show you in a different light.
I could see using it in a PS as a way you have overcome adversity, but otherwise why bother.

If you find that it is handicapping you in any way while IN VET SCHOOL, then you can talk to the the disability office or equivalent for some accommodation if necessary, but it sounds like it shouldn't be much of a problem.

Again no NEED to disclose it, unless you are going to do it to make you sound more awesome.
 
The AVMA code of ethics addresses this (found it here: https://www.avma.org/KB/Policies/Pages/Principles-of-Veterinary-Medical-Ethics-of-the-AVMA.aspx) at least somewhat, and I pulled UC Davis' statement on it (here: http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/students/dvm_program/admissions/adm_technical_standards.cfm). Basically, if your disability creates (additional) risk for you, the animal, your colleagues, etc., you can be denied admission or dismissed.

In your case, if you're able to perform the necessary skills safely, I don't see how it would be a problem. I would probably only discuss it in your PS if you felt that the overall experience had helped you in some way that you could point to. Otherwise, I'd just leave it out.
 
I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to this. Leaving it out is just fine. Including it, if it helps your overall application, can be just fine. Including it and doing it poorly can work against you. *shrug*

Honestly, after working with our applications and administrative people over the last 3 years or so, my take on it is that they'd see that you're down an eye, they'd shrug, and say "eh. not a big deal," and they'd treat you like any other candidate. Not a big deal in the application sense, I mean - I'm not belittling the loss of an eye. That sucks. 🙁

As an aside, a school can reject an applicant if they do not meet fitness requirements, and those can include physical disabilities and limitations. I cannot see your particular limitation ever being one of them, but don't fall into the trap of thinking that a school can never reject a candidate because of a disability. Cornell has a pretty decent statement of their expectations for a candidate (http://vet.cornell.edu/admissions/essentialskills.cfm) but there are other schools with similar policies, and still more that are moving that direction.
 
You can see my post history for my related experience...good luck! Personally, I would not disclose...let them see it at the interview. Just my opinion.