To do or not to do Research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dolittle14

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All!

I am a first year Osteopathic Medical Student and have been considering whether or not summer research (between OMSI and OMSII) is really necessary for emergency medicine residency. I have done some research online and it seems as if research for EM residency is not as needed as other specialities. However, I do have the opportunity to be involved with research this summer but just not sure if I really want to do it. It has never been a passion of mine and so, I am just wondering if it is really necessary or am I better off doing some board studying (sketchy + reviewing OMS1 material) + volunteering and shadowing.

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely don't need to study for boards, yet. You need to determine what your life goals are and will doing a little bit of research enhance your ability to achieve your goals (in most cases it can't hurt). I would do research and a little shadowing to explore stuff outside of EM.

If you really don't care for research, don't do it. But if you want to keep different options open (eg. EM at more academic programs, other competitive specialties), it will only help you.

As for studying for boards over the summer, you'll get various responses. My personal opinion is that you should study if you want to, just do it lightly. I listened to upperclassmen by not studying at all during the summer and I slightly regret it. At the very least, I wish I had watched all of Sketchy Micro + Pharm.

Members don't see this ad :)
Doing research could only help you. Having no research on your app may not be a death knell for EM, but I have heard that PDs do like to see it. Volunteering is good both for your soul and your residency app, shadowing is not (nobody cares if you shadowed in medical school).

I won't tell you to not study, but studying during that summer is most likely of minimal value.

Probably your last summer off until you retire.

Don't waste it unless you really have a strong interest in research and plan on continuing it throughout med school.

Reactions: 1 user
Research isn't necessary for EM residency so don't feel obligated to do it, especially if it's not your thing. You'd be better off doing a little review of MS1 material with something else productive like a community service project.