To drop or not to drop that is the question...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
J

jsjarv

x

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think once you've gotten in, you're expected to maintain a certain cumulative average so your offer isn't rescinded, but it's not nearly as high as the GPAs we apply with so I think you should be okay. My roommate got into dental school, blew off the second part of the semester to travel, did the bare minimum, got 60s and 70s in her courses that term and still went on to dental school because the GPA she had to maintain was really low once she already received the offer. This might be school-dependent so you should look into it further to see what each school's policy is.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Everyone,

Backstory:
I've had 2 interviews so far at dental schools that I'm 99.9% sure ill be accepted into because of how amazing my interviews went + they were some of the earliest given out at each respected school.

Problem:
I'm currently melting down whilst taking gross human anatomy and senioritis is kicking my ass. I will most likely get a C/D if this trend continues because I am struggling hardcore in the class.

Action:
I was wondering if I should:
A.) Drop this class and retake it next semester leaving a W on my transcript and ultimately have to explain it to admissions when I send them my updated grades?
B.) Email admissions officers at each dental school and inform them of my situation and ask for advice whether to drop or stick with it? (before december 1st, meaning no acceptances yet)
C.) Leave the country and go live on a small tropical island and forget about my worries?

Concern:
Is it common for dental schools to rescind acceptance letters based on a single bad grade in a challenging course? I have worked so hard for the first 3 years of college and gained two interviews so far, is it possible that one false step could ruin all that????

Thanks for reading, any advice or wisdom on this topic would be greatly appreciated :)

Option C.
Also, bring your trusty pal Incisor with you.

Hi Everyone,

Backstory:
I've had 2 interviews so far at dental schools that I'm 99.9% sure ill be accepted into because of how amazing my interviews went + they were some of the earliest given out at each respected school.

Problem:
I'm currently melting down whilst taking gross human anatomy and senioritis is kicking my ass. I will most likely get a C/D if this trend continues because I am struggling hardcore in the class.

Action:
I was wondering if I should:
A.) Drop this class and retake it next semester leaving a W on my transcript and ultimately have to explain it to admissions when I send them my updated grades?
B.) Email admissions officers at each dental school and inform them of my situation and ask for advice whether to drop or stick with it? (before december 1st, meaning no acceptances yet)
C.) Leave the country and go live on a small tropical island and forget about my worries?

Concern:
Is it common for dental schools to rescind acceptance letters based on a single bad grade in a challenging course? I have worked so hard for the first 3 years of college and gained two interviews so far, is it possible that one false step could ruin all that????

Thanks for reading, any advice or wisdom on this topic would be greatly appreciated :)

After being accepted, you will be provided some terms to keep up with. One of them might be keeping a certain GPA or grade for that semester. If you don't meet the requirements they will possibly rescind your acceptance. This is variable from school to school, so it would be best to ask the school directly, not predents on SDN.

First and foremost, I would recommend not updating your AADSAS. Secondly, you won't get declined post-acceptance for one bad mark, especially considering that it is not a pre-req course. It doesn't really matter at this point whether you have a W or C/D. If I was in your shoes, and this was your first or second W, I would W and retake it. Learn from your mistakes and try again (or not, doesn't really matter so long as this is the only course you're having difficulty with at the moment).

As I side not, I'm studying anatomy right now and took several anatomy/physiology courses in undergrad and taking it in dental school is a whole different ball game. Doing well in anatomy during undergrad isn't going to give you a significant edge in dental school.

Last edited: