To Great Pumpkin

Started by Tomavir
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Tomavir

New Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi Great Pumpkin:

I have a question for you and would appreciate your response. Do you know something about the path residency program at SUNY Downstate Medical Center, at Brooklyn, NY? I've heard people saying it's a bad program just because of its bad location. That's not a big concern for me, what I really want to know is about the atmosphere, teaching conferences. I am also interested in their neuropathology fellowship. Thank you in advance for any information.
 
Sorry, I don't know anything at all about that program. I would imagine housing would be a big issue.
 
I got 3 of my 4 autopsies to graduate at Kings County (SUNY - Downstate teaching hospital), and there was one resident there cutting (on a Sunday) - and these were ME cases. They do 10 posts a day there - every day. They have 80 crypts (including one section labeled "Decomposed"). I don't know anything about the department, but the gross path is there. The one attending had done 7000 posts in 7 years (he said that, at a place he'd applied to for a job, 3 ME's were splitting the case load he was doing individually).

Housing is not a big issue...Downstate has school housing, but, also, finding an apartment isn't overwhelmingly bad.