China and Eastern Asia To HK Medical students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ice_maiden34567

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello folks,
I have a doubt. Are your end of semester exams conducted as multiple choice questions? If so,where do you prepare for it from? I mean, is it from the standard text books or do you have books with questions which you can work out?
I am preparing for the HKMLE and it would be a great help for my preparation if someone can shed some light. Thanks in advance
ice.
 
ice_maiden34567 said:
Hello folks,
I have a doubt. Are your end of semester exams conducted as multiple choice questions? If so,where do you prepare for it from? I mean, is it from the standard text books or do you have books with questions which you can work out?
I am preparing for the HKMLE and it would be a great help for my preparation if someone can shed some light. Thanks in advance
ice.


Hi ice maiden:

So I take that you are a HK citizen who has done you medical training overseas? Are you from a UK or US based training? (Makes a lot of difference). I agree, Sitting 2 "MCQs" paper for part one sounds scary! Although I have not sat it, I think people said it was similar to USMLE (I think). Are you doing yours this SEP?

Cheers
 
Hi doc,
I did my studies in India.And yeah,the exam is really tough and there are no real guidelines to prepare for it(like for USMLE,there are are the Kaplan's & FA's and what not!!!!!). That is why i put up this post-----if the med students here do go through an MCQ,i was wondering which books they prepare from.
ice. 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi ice:

Well good on you! I thought medical education in India is really good! However, I think the problem with HKMLE is that everything is "unknown". I have not heard many people who sat the exam and got a job as a HO in HK. Another thing is that the MCQ in medical finals are probably not as hard as the licencing exam. Afterall, it IS HARD to get a job in HK (I have been told). Have you tried asking the MCHK for clarification about the exam? (like pass rate, exact format etc).

So I take that yor have sat it?

What's medical work in India like?

Just a thought


Cheers
 
Hi doc,
I took the USMLE Step 1 last month and guess it is easier compared to the HKMLE.
As for working in India,esp in a Govt hospital----you get a chance to be exposed to an immense variety of cases----but the long hours and the huge numbers of patients can really drive you crazy at times.
So where do you do/have done your medical studies?
ice.
 
Last edited:
just wondering if you vaguely remember the questions they asked for MCQ. Like choosing 1 in 5, true or false, mostly factual or case based scenarios?
 
Hi Jenny,
About the exam-----the questions were mostly "best of four" kind with 1 mark for correct and .25(minus) for the wrong one.Then, there were about 25(i dont remember the number exactly,all psychiatry)which were in the "true/false" pattern---5 options,.2 marks for correct and .2 minus for wrong answer. Hope this helps. ice
 
Hello

Thanks for the reply. It was helpful so now I know there is negative marking in the paper. How's your preparation going? I guess it's really difficult because you have nowhere to start, but maybe doing as many MCQs as possible might help 🙂

Jenny
 
Hello all -

I'm thinking of doing the HKMLE in 2007, if any of you has any advice from your experiences it would be most appreciated!!