To include brand new experience or not?

Started by emacc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

emacc

Cornell c/o 2021
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I recently (like 8/21 recently) accepted a new vet assistant position at an emergency and specialty hospital, and I'm sort of on the fence about whether or not to include it as veterinary experience for this cycle.

By September 1st I will have about 80hrs in that position, all of which have been extremely hands on with critical cases, poisonings, HBCs, etc. They've also all been with one doctor so far, but I don't know him well enough to include him as a letter for anything.

Thoughts? I think I should since I'll be continuing on with this job throughout the year, but I've also already submitted a few supplementals without it on there.
 
I recently (like 8/21 recently) accepted a new vet assistant position at an emergency and specialty hospital, and I'm sort of on the fence about whether or not to include it as veterinary experience for this cycle.

By September 1st I will have about 80hrs in that position, all of which have been extremely hands on with critical cases, poisonings, HBCs, etc. They've also all been with one doctor so far, but I don't know him well enough to include him as a letter for anything.

Thoughts? I think I should since I'll be continuing on with this job throughout the year, but I've also already submitted a few supplementals without it on there.

I would definitely include it!
 
Stick it in there, and then bring it up in interviews so they get a better idea of how much you've learned!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Definitely include it.

How does everyone feel about including future experiences? I am going to start volunteering at a therapeutic riding center in Sept. or Oct., so I have no hours yet... But I figured it doesn't hurt to include it? Thoughts?
 
Definitely include it.

How does everyone feel about including future experiences? I am going to start volunteering at a therapeutic riding center in Sept. or Oct., so I have no hours yet... But I figured it doesn't hurt to include it? Thoughts?

I thought when I went through it was specifically prohibited. Did they change that? (Or, maybe my memory is faulty.)
 
I thought when I went through it was specifically prohibited. Did they change that? (Or, maybe my memory is faulty.)

I seem to remember something about being able to submit expected hours with future dates as a new thing this year. Not sure if that's accurate or not, but it sounds vaguely familiar.
 
I seem to remember something about being able to submit expected hours with future dates as a new thing this year. Not sure if that's accurate or not, but it sounds vaguely familiar.

I think they changed it since the deadline is earlier. You can't include future hours, but I believe you can include future experiences.

"If your current experience will continue beyond when you submit your application, list the expected end date. However, the total hours should reflect completed hours (hours-to-date), and should NOT include future hours."
The instructions don't specifically mention anything about future experiences, but I would think it would follow this same rule?