To Interview at Dartmouth or not...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mango-a-go-go

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need some advice...I just received an invite from Dartmouth for an interview, but I don't know if I should go. I've been accepted to 4 schools, and am still waiting to hear back post interview from UCLA and Vanderbilt. Do you think I should spend the money to go? What is the school like? The city?

Members don't see this ad.

I was in the same boat a couple of weeks ago....I decided to give my iinterview up because i figured someone who really wanted to go there would get the chance to interview...I looked it as I wanted the dart/brown program (which I have heard is full) and I was not looking to go into primary care....so I guess my advice would be if you don't think you take it over one of the schools you have been accepted give the interview to someone who is dying to go there!

Hey, trout, where did you hear that the Dartmouth/Brown program is full?

Members don't see this ad :)
When I called up to schedule my interview...she said they only take ten and ten had accepted but they had started a waitlist and many times they pull from the waitlist...I never realized how small the program was...they had someone from brown interviewing that day too...she also said that the person was booked so even though I was still interviewing for the program, I couldn't interview with the brown admissions officer (which seemed kinda strange to me....)I called back the next day and canceled...

I was also in the same predicament. I got an interview for the Dartmouth/Brown program knowing that I really wanted to stay in NYC for med school and had already gotten in at one. I went to Dartmouth anyway which ended up being a waste of time. The place is great but certainly not for me - I couldn't even fudge my way through the Dartmouth interview - although the Brown one went real well. My interviewer at the end even said, "I'm sure there are other places you'll be happier at"!!! Well at least I know what NH is like - I would had always been wondering. IF you know that you wouldn't attend there if accepted, don't go. Save your money and time.

what city?
there is none.
dartmouth's hospital is the most amazing one i've ever seen... but i couldn't live out in the middle of no where... no matter how much i love skiing.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by mango-a-go-go:
•Do you think I should spend the money to go? What is the school like? The city?•••••

Thanks for the info, trout. But the information I have on the Brown/Dartmouth program says there are 15 spots.... so the lady told you they were full with a waitlist, but the Brown admissions officer was still interviewing people??? :( How much of a waitlist could they need?

I don't know :wink: ...Somewhere about nov I stopped trying to guess what the hell goes through some of these people's heads.....

if i were you i wouldn't bother to go. it was the most expensive trip i took. first of all, dartmouth is in teh middle of nowhere (that is why i opted for teh brown program) that means getting there is very hard (bussing it from manchester or boston which takes a few hours). very isolated place. very caucasian area. they do rural rotations and have some rotations that you can take in florida, etc.. i couldn't imagine living in hanover for 4 years (I thought davis was bad until i went to hanover!). it is nice and all but not for me. i was put on the waitlist for the dartmouth/brown program which i interviewed for in december if that helps.