To join or not to join student organizations?

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by Invisigoth, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Invisigoth

5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Hi everyone,

I'm currently in middle of my P2 year and have not participated in any student organizations. I don't need it for socializing, free food, etc. My 2 kids are enough to keep me busy. Do employers really care if you have one of those org.s on your CV? Does it help snag a job? Do any organizations provide useful experience?

2. bacillus1

10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    IMO you can learn more about the profession of pharmacy through student organizations. Don't go overboard; just pick one and try to be active.
    Plus, there are pretty good perks for P3s in APhA.
    I've seen on job postings that employers see active membership in a professional organization as a plus. I don't know how much of a plus it is, however.

3. Glycerin

Glycerin Commercially Unavailable
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    If you just want to staff somewhere and not do a residency/fellowship/etc, then lack of organizational membership/leadership most likely won't affect you. I would try to work part-time, though, because in my experience I feel most of the best pharmacists are those that have worked as techs/interns prior to becoming a pharmacist.

There are many similar thread with this same question posed. Have you tried searching the forums?

4. GodsSon2011

10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    if u trying to do retail then don't worry about it

5. Priapism321

Priapism321 Bursting with enthusiasm
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    None of it matters, especially if you have small people to tend to. If you are worried or think you need some CV padding, just pay the $20 to join one or two organizations so you are officially "in the club." It doesn't mean you have to be "active," and if your ultimate goal is to man a drive thru some day, no one is going to ask...

6. pharmagirl

5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I agree with the others that said it really only matters if you are wanting to go on with a residency/fellowship. If you're planning on working retail/community pharmacy, chances are it would never make a difference.

I also agree with the bit about working part time. It's amazing how much you can pick-up over the years by just keeping yourself current and working part-time. I personally wish I had worked more during school, but that's easy to say now that I'm finished and I can look back on pharmacy school and not remember exactly how tough it was at the time.

7. pharmdinfl

2+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    During pharmacy school, I found that the organizations were great for networking.

8. bigpharmD

2+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry

So was my frat...we partied a lot.