To make an excuse or not to make an excuse...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rugger4

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN,
I have been filling out several secondaries and have been leaning back and forth on whether or not to include something in the, "is there anything else you'd like to tell us?" section. This last semester I suffered a pretty bad sporting accident where I broke my tib/fib, dislocated my ankle, tore some stuff... yada yada and had to have surgery to repair it all. Due to this I was in a wheelchair for a couple of months and had to have someone drive me from my apartment to class every day (broke my right leg). Even though disability services told me to medically withdraw from the semester, I continued to go to class anyways. I was no longer able to do research, work, volunteer, etc. However, I was still able to get a 4.0 gpa but it killed all of my EC's for about 6 months. Is this something I should include in this section? I do not want it to sound like I am making an excuse or trying to get pity, but I do also feel like it is something the adcoms should know. Please give me your 2 cents on whether I should include it or not. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like a good story to tell; something you may have learned from or gotten a different outlook on life/disability from.

I wouldn't frame it as a reason your ECs suck or anything like that. I wouldn't really even mention that. But if you can tell it as a good story without being too wordy or sounding piteous, go for it.

Reactions: 4 users
Hello SDN,
I have been filling out several secondaries and have been leaning back and forth on whether or not to include something in the, "is there anything else you'd like to tell us?" section. This last semester I suffered a pretty bad sporting accident where I broke my tib/fib, dislocated my ankle, tore some stuff... yada yada and had to have surgery to repair it all. Due to this I was in a wheelchair for a couple of months and had to have someone drive me from my apartment to class every day (broke my right leg). Even though disability services told me to medically withdraw from the semester, I continued to go to class anyways. I was no longer able to do research, work, volunteer, etc. However, I was still able to get a 4.0 gpa but it killed all of my EC's for about 6 months. Is this something I should include in this section? I do not want it to sound like I am making an excuse or trying to get pity, but I do also feel like it is something the adcoms should know. Please give me your 2 cents on whether I should include it or not. Thanks!

IMO you should include it! you could use it as a growing experience

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it will come off better if you state what you learned from this experience from a patient's perspective. An astute reader will then note that "hey, this kid maintained a 4.0 even after a nasty accident!".

Hello SDN,

Reactions: 6 users
how did you break so many things o_O? what sports were you doing? x-games???

Reactions: 1 user
Rugby. I've had 5 staples put in my head, a few broken noses, and now a metal plate put in my leg. It's too addictive to quit though!

And @Goro , I was selected to go on a volunteering mission paid for by my university during the time I was injured. In your opinion, is it best to just avoid talking about things that "could have been" and just get on to "what I learned" from it?

I would just state the facts... in the Spring semester 2014, I suffered a sports related injury involving fracture of my tibia and fibula that required surgical repair. Consequently, I was in a wheelchair for two months, unable to drive, and dependent on others for car trips to campus. Although disability services advised me to medically withdraw from the semester, I continued with coursework but had to let go of my research, employment and volunteer service due to my immobility.

I really don't believe that you need to say anything about what you learned. If anyone wonders why all your activities have an end date of Spring/2014 now they'll know why and that's really the point.

I had the same injury a few years ago and I can certainly relate to what you've describe.

Reactions: 5 users
Just straight to the point. I like it. Thank you.

Hello SDN,

You need to learn the difference between an "excuse" and a "reason:" http://corporatecoachgroup.com/blog/reason-vs-excuse or https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110604133621AAw0KIo

What you have is a, "reason," and you should concisely explain the significance of the injury since you were given the chance.