To Nova Applicants...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yah-E

Toof Sniper
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Three things:

1) If you're coming here for an interview in the near future, feel free to contact me for free stays during your interview days. My roommate (also a D1) and I live right across the street from the dental school.

2) If any of you have any questions about Nova Dental, please feel free to ask. I've only been a dental student here for 4 weeks so far, but I will try to answer your questions to the best of my knowledge.

3) Also visit our Class web site if you wish, there are many useful information for you to learn more about us as a class and the school itself.

http://groups.msn.com/NSUCDMClassof2006

Good luck in your 2003 application journey.

:cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Andy,

I got an interview. I was just thinking about you. When I confirm my interview I will contact you. Thanks.

DesiDentist

I have a question for you? I know that you did a summer program at Marquette and you are now attending Nova. My question for you is why did you choose Nova over Marquette? Did you have an option? Did one school stand out more? I really am quite curious on why you decided to attend Nova? Could you tell me your opinion on the two schools, seeing how you have been to both?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
To answer your questions:

1)
Q: Why did you choose Nova over Marquette?
A: The main reason I picked Nova over Marquette was the fact that I didn't get an acceptance from Marquette Dental in time and I had to fork out a deposite to a school that I did get accepted to. I applied late and got accept by schools in mid-March. At that time, I only had two weeks to decide to accept or decline those acceptances. I called Marquette up and said bluntly, if you haven't decided on me yet, withdraw my applicant for 2003 because I'm sick of waiting and I got accepted to other great dental schools!

2)
Q: Did you have an option?
A: I guess I didn't have an option since I withdrew my application from MUSoD. I strongly believe that I would have gotten in if I would've waited and been patient. Who knows and who cares, right?! (For those of us that participated in the MUSoD's summer programs at the dental school, our admission applications "can" be at an advantage)

3)
Q: Did one school stand out more?
A: Yes, Nova to me stood out more at the time due to personal preferences.

4)
Q: Why you decided to attend Nova?
A: I decided on Nova because of four big reasons
1. Amazing and up-to-date facilities
2. Passionate faculty and admission staff members (I now experienced it first-hand)
3. A diverse and LARGE patient pool
4. Sunny south Florida (where I can learn and have fun for 4 years)

5)
Q: Could you tell me your opinion on the two schools, seeing how you have been to both?
A: OK, here it goes...remember all this is my personal opinion and experiences...

Marquette:

POSITIVES:

1) New building/facilities
2) Diverse class each year
3) Nice class size at 80
4) Close to Chicago, IL
5) Great reputable dental school
6) New PBL curriculum (this can be good or bad, it really depends on your taste of learing methods)
7) Passionate faculty members
8) Has all the specialty programs for Pre- and Post-doctoral education.

NEGATIVES:

1) Tuition is high
2) Downtown Milwaukee (again this can be good or bad depend on how comfortable you are with the area)
3) Have to compete with Post-Doctoral students for certain type of patients for certain procedures
4) In the Midwest, have to deal with winter, i.e. snow
5) No interaction with any other type of students on campus, the dental building is like 2-3 blocks from the main campus.
6) Does not have a White Coat Ceremony
7) Not so good patient pool

Nova Southeastern University:

POSITIVES

1) Sunny southern FL (Miami and the Keys are only a drive away)
2) Newer building/ facilities
3) Passionate faculty members that wants you to succeed
4) Cheaper tuition for a private dental school
5) You'll get to mingle with medical (DO), optimetry, pharmacy, and other health professions students between. during, or even after class hours.
6) Beautiful campus where you can actually sit outside and relax or study
7) Has all the specialty programs for Pre- and Post-doctoral education.
8) Diverse class
9) A great class size of ~100
10) Beautiful people everywhere!
11) Beach is 10 minutes away
12) Has a White Coat Ceremony
13) You now can take the WREB (a regional licensure exam) at Nova when you graduate verses before where you have to go back to your home WREB state to take the examination if you wish to practice there.
14) Great patient pool (waiting list for patients to receive our dental school services)

NEGATIVES

1) Curriculum changes almost every year to implement new and better education (trial and error thing)
2) No scholarships from the dental school!

The curriculum changes sucks because whatever the D3s and D4s are doing now, it may not be what I'll be doing by the time when I am a D3 and D4 as far as graduation requirements or clinical responsibilties goes! Since Nova is a new school, they're always trying new things and ways.

That's really about it for the negatives about Nova, I really enjoy it here and am happy! I know that all dental schools out there are great and they may all have some strengths and weaknesses in comparison to Nova, but Nova is where I feel like home and where I learn great dentistry.

A side note, Nova is now FULLY-ACCREDITED WITH-OUT REPORTING status!! :clap:

Desident,

Congrats on your many interview invites...definitely give me a call when you know when you'll be visiting Nova. I'll hook you up with our futon and you two can get acquinted during your Nova interview. Also, if you're here for a day or two, you're also more than welcome to attend some of our lectures and labs with me. I'll insure you a full, hands-on Nova Dental experience while you're here!

Hey Yah-E!

It's great to see u on this board again. I was dying with the DAT and disappeared for a while. Now, school is so hectic as well. I also apply to Nova. Whenever I have interview invite, I'll let you know.
happy studying
Tink

Yah-E!

Great to hear from you and I'm glad that you're enjoying your Nova experience! I just sent my secondary back to Nova this week (thought I should have my DAT scores in hand first) so hopefully I'll be hearing good news soon. Do you think that Nova sends secondaries to everyone who applies? I just don't want to get my hopes up needlessly.

Take Care,

Smile_doc:cool:

In a perfect world, everyone that applied "should" receive a secondary application, but I know that is not the case. For example, when I applied last year, I didn't get a secondary sent to me until I called Su-Ann (Admissions Director) to check up on my AADSAS application and status.

I think like everything else in the application process game that if you applied early in the cycle, you're chances of receiving a secondary application will increase due to the fact that Nova Admissions is not as busy as later on in the application cycle. I think after a while, Nova just gets swamped by the number of AADSAS application that they receive each year (>1700) so that they get very unorganized and hectic and they forget or don't send out anymore secondaries.

If you don't receive one, I'd recommend you to call Su-Ann and bug her about it!

Hi,
I was wondering what are the realistic GPA and DAT scores to get into Nova.
I have science 2.9 and 3.1 with DAT 20. How are my chances in your opinion??
Thanks

Roster88:

To be honest with you, at this time (early in the admission/interviwing cycle), your 2.9/3.1 GPA may prevent you to get an interview at this time. This is the reason why I say this, during the early application cycle period, the majority of the applicants has AMAZING numbers, although you have GREAT DAT number, your GPAs may prevent you earning an interview.

You're best method to secure a future interview invite is to continously contact Su-Ann and tactfully ask about how your application is doing.

I wish you the best of luck and never give up!

On the other side of the token, you never know what might happen in that admissions office, if you have a trend of improvement and a stronger AADSAS application (extracurricular, letters, etc.,), you may very well receive an interview invitation! Remember, call, call, call, introduce yourself and get your application known!

Yah-E knows what he is talking about. I learned a lot about application tactics and strategy through him. Don't focus on the negative side of your application, but focus on the positive. If you have a low gpa, say it but don't dwell on it. Focus on you experiences, DAT and anything that may make you a different candidate than the rest of the people. Good Luck.

DesiDentist

Thanks guys. I did not know calling the schools will make any difference.
Thanks

Calling is a huge plus. For some silly reason, it seems that schools will give you interviews simply because you speak to them. It is as if the admissions committee says "Here is a pile of 20 applicants, let's give an interview to the first 2 that call our office, show interest in the school, and are polite on the phone". Can anybody else testify to the truthfulness of this?

Gavin,

What would you consider proper phone etiquette? Just curious...thanks..