TecmoBowl

10+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
I just want this scoundrel to have his children and family members taken care of ONLY by non-Physician providers.

I hope and pray this happens to them, after all, he thinks it's okay for the rest of the country to be exposed to that.

Who in their right minds would tell their children to become Physicians now?

coprolalia

Bored Certified
10+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2007
Paradise
Status
Attending Physician
I've decided I'm done studying... So I'll repond...

I don't think Obama hates doctors or wants everyone to be seen by midlevels. But, it's abundantly clear that he really doesn't have anything more than a superficial grasp of the issues facing us (based and evidenced by his "tonsillectomy" analogy).

There is most certainly a lot of waste and redundancy in the delivery of medical care. I have been a victim of this myself as a healthcae consumer. I try to remember this as a healthcare provider. But, the solution is not to "flatten" out and attempt to regulate bedside decisions. That would prove to be disastrous to both the provider and the patient.

The real primary issue that goes hand-in-hand with this is tort reform. Until he's willing to put that on the table, any discussion about healthcare reform will be fruitless. And, no matter what is sad or enacted, nothing will change if the constant specter of being sued is there to cloud the medical decision-making process.

-copro

Dr Oops

10+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I've decided I'm done studying... So I'll repond...

I don't think Obama hates doctors or wants everyone to be seen by midlevels. But, it's abundantly clear that he really doesn't have anything more than a superficial grasp of the issues facing us (based and evidenced by his "tonsillectomy" analogy).

There is most certainly a lot of waste and redundancy in the delivery of medical care. I have been a victim of this myself as a healthcae consumer. I try to remember this as a healthcare provider. But, the solution is not to "flatten" out and attempt to regulate bedside decisions. That would prove to be disastrous to both the provider and the patient.

The real primary issue that goes hand-in-hand with this is tort reform. Until he's willing to put that on the table, any discussion about healthcare reform will be fruitless. And, no matter what is sad or enacted, nothing will change if the constant specter of being sued is there to cloud the medical decision-making process.

-copro
Hes already said, in his statment to the AMA, that he is against litigation caps. Hes definitely not going to do anything about torte reform unless hes forced into it.

Stitch

Jedi Ninja Wizard
15+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2002
Texas
Status
Attending Physician
Hes already said, in his statment to the AMA, that he is against litigation caps. Hes definitely not going to do anything about torte reform unless hes forced into it.
he's a lawyer, as is the rest of Washington. We're being asked to get on board with the plan, and he's not even throwing us a bone.

Here's an op ed in the Washington Post, mentioning this issue. And though many lawyers say that defensive medicine doesn't really exist, this ER doc does a good job of explaining.

I don't know that caps are the answer, at least not alone, but there are plenty of other things that could be done to address liability.