To report or not to report

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlackCatsRuleTheWorld

UMN c/o 2026!!
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying for c/o 2026 and the only school I'm applying to that accepts the GRE is Illinois, but it's optional (when I signed up for the test it was required so I took it anyway). My cGPA is 3.49, science ~3.1 depending how you calculate it.

My GRE score is 154 verbal (63%) and 155 quant (55%).

I don't know if I should report my scores or not, they're pretty mediocre but my GPA isn't great obviously, so I'm wondering if it would help at all... for reference Illinois website says their average GRE score for a competitive applicant is 63% overall. Any thoughts would be helpful!

Members don't see this ad.

I would directly contact the schools you are applying to and ask if they take the GRE into consideration for current applicants. I've heard of some schools requesting that applicants DON'T send GREs since they will be ignored anyway (and it costs you money to send them). Mileage may vary per school.

I would directly contact the schools you are applying to and ask if they take the GRE into consideration for current applicants. I've heard of some schools requesting that applicants DON'T send GREs since they will be ignored anyway (and it costs you money to send them). Mileage may vary per school.
Thanks! Illinois does take them into consideration if you send them in, but they do not require it. So I am on the fence about whether or not to send my score in because it's mediocre, but not terrible, and my GPA is lackluster.

Personally, if my GRE was below what they would consider a "competitive" score, I would not send it to them to be compared to other "competitive" applicants. I would instead focus on improving my GPA / Last 45 (not that a 3.5 is terrible) and getting unique and varied vet, animal, and non-animal experience. As an applicant, you can do a lot more to make yourself stand out than scoring well on a standardized test.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, if my GRE was below what they would consider a "competitive" score, I would not send it to them to be compared to other "competitive" applicants. I would instead focus on improving my GPA / Last 45 (not that a 3.5 is terrible) and getting unique and varied vet, animal, and non-animal experience. As an applicant, you can do a lot more to make yourself stand out than scoring well on a standardized test.

Thanks for your input! Those are good ideas - I think I'm leaning against sending it.

I don't think I'd send them, if you have the option. Maybe take a prep course and retake it?

Thanks! I won't be retaking it since it's not required, I only took it because at the time I signed up it was required, and I couldn't get my money back anyway so I gave it a shot! I'll just focus on my pre-reqs and experiences :)

I don't think I'd send them, if you have the option. Maybe take a prep course and retake it?
Thanks! I won't be retaking it since it's not required, I only took it because at the time I signed up it was required, and I couldn't get my money back anyway so I gave it a shot! I'll just focus on my pre-reqs and experiences :)
It might be worth it if a high score could help compensate for GPA, since GPA can be a bit slower to budge.

Thanks! Illinois does take them into consideration if you send them in, but they do not require it. So I am on the fence about whether or not to send my score in because it's mediocre, but not terrible, and my GPA is lackluster.
Hello! I applied to Illinois. If your GPA is lower it may be worth considering because they will basically “lower the weight” of the GPA and include the GRE scores in place if that makes sense?