To solve the world energy crisis

Started by Epic
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Epic

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Neat concept. I'm thinking about buying an alternator.. then making this goofy looking turbine in my spare time...floating on magnets to reduce friction. Then we'll find out how much power this can generate and see if it can power some lights around my house.. what say you pharmacy geeks?

If that ugly thing can power 750,000 homes... I think a smaller version for home use could be beneficial..

http://www.engadget.com/2007/11/26/maglev-wind-turbines-1000x-more-effiencient-than-normal-windmill/

magtb9.jpg
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well...I know where you could get a jet engine to power up the lights.

Btw...the thing's an eyesore. No way the head of the household is going to approve of that sitting in the backyard.

I got a place in my backyard where it won't be visible by us.. visible by my neighbors.. but not by us..
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Because you want to put up a merry-go-round to power up some lights? I thought you'd threaten to leave over something a lot better than that. Say...trying to fly a 20-foot USC flag or something.

I do have a big USC flag... and they can't kick me out for that.
 
I dunno, the article says they plan to use permanent magnets, but I don't see how neodymium magnets would be powerful enough to lift such a large structure.
 
Because you want to put up a merry-go-round to power up some lights? I thought you'd threaten to leave over something a lot better than that. Say...trying to fly a 20-foot USC flag or something.

why dont you just put up an actual merry go round to generate power. the kinds that the neighborhood kids will come in and push, you know, like the playground ones.
 
I wish we could all use nuclear power. The efficiency is off the charts and it would solve global warming. The waste is such a small price to pay for the grand scheme benefits.

Besides, who says that nuclear power plants are NIMBY and ugly? I think they're kind of cool looking.

Wind power is pretty dangerous too; thousands of birds die every year.
 
Dallas is windier than the windy city.. But we'll give Chicago something to brag about..
The term the Windy City comes from Chicago trying to get the 1893 World's Fair. Chicago is not that windy of a place overall.
 
I wish we could all use nuclear power. The efficiency is off the charts and it would solve global warming. The waste is such a small price to pay for the grand scheme benefits.

Besides, who says that nuclear power plants are NIMBY and ugly? I think they're kind of cool looking.

Wind power is pretty dangerous too; thousands of birds die every year.

That would be a good thing...
 
We could solve the energy crisis if we made everyone run on a treadmill for an hour a day, connected to big batteries. Solves the energy crisis and no-one would be fat, so we would solve the obesity problem too.
 
We could solve the energy crisis if we made everyone run on a treadmill for an hour a day, connected to big batteries. Solves the energy crisis and no-one would be fat, so we would solve the obesity problem too.

I would be snacking while running on the treadmill!