To take a course or not to take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PatGreen5

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you think, is it better to take a course (there is a possibility to do it only on-line) or not take it and just buy books (like MCAT and so on)?
I have heard that at Kaplan they give you specific book if you take the class, and you can't buy this book anywhere. Is it a good book, you think?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm thinking about taking a course too. I'm leaning toward TPR over Kaplan from some of the stuff I've heard, but I'm not sure. It sounds like the TPR materials might be a little more complete and in depth. You would think they would both be pretty comparable since they have both been doing the same thing for years. Personally I think the only reason for a course is for the reassurance of having someone monitor your progress. But like someone else said, if you are planning on spending 6 figures on a med school, what's another 1500 to make sure you get there?

I'm in a course (Berkeley Review), and it has been so helpful to me. I feel like I'm making so much progress. I recommend a course, if possible. I think I would do well on the MCAT even without the course (I'm a very motivated person), but I really do think that the class has been good for me. (I shouldn't speak too soon, though... I haven't taken the MCAT yet! :) ) Anyway, I agree with the above poster... spending an extra 1500 is nothing compared to what med school is going to cost. :D

How do you like the Berkeley Review? I heard that was a great course. I would probably rather take that than either TPR or Kaplan, but those are the only two choices I have. The Kaplan Center that I went to around where I live wasn't that great, it was only like 2 classrooms and a little room with some video equipment. Is that the usual size of those things? I think I'd rather take TPR since at least they give you workbooks to take home.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have a friend or acquaintance in a course that you can sit in with on a review course, I highly recommend it. I spent the $ to enroll in Berkeley Review this year ( I know you saw this coming UCLAstudent :) ) .. anyway it was good and all but I have been much much more productive studying on my own. I think the courses would benefit some and even take valuable time away from others. It is important to see how it affects you, and I think the best way to do that w/o spending the $$$ on it is sitting in on a session or two. I personally switched to examkrackers homestudy program and study about 3 hours a day with their material. I know people in all of the review companies and some feel as I do and some feel it has helped. Do a search, I found a ton of information on courses.

Good luck!

Hahaha, I knew you would post, OnMyWayThere! ;)

He brings up a valid point in that some people ARE more comfortable working on their own. I admit that, normally, I would be one of them. I guess I'm taking a review course more for "security" than anything.

Anyway, if you are choosing between Kaplan and Princeton Review, I would definitely go with Princeton. Most people that I know have said that Kaplan isn't so great... even my biology counselor! :laugh: