PatGreen5

15+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2003
Status (Visible)
What do you think, is it better to take a course (there is a possibility to do it only on-line) or not take it and just buy books (like MCAT and so on)?
I have heard that at Kaplan they give you specific book if you take the class, and you can't buy this book anywhere. Is it a good book, you think?

willthatsall

Unretired
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2004
GA
Status (Visible)
I'm thinking about taking a course too. I'm leaning toward TPR over Kaplan from some of the stuff I've heard, but I'm not sure. It sounds like the TPR materials might be a little more complete and in depth. You would think they would both be pretty comparable since they have both been doing the same thing for years. Personally I think the only reason for a course is for the reassurance of having someone monitor your progress. But like someone else said, if you are planning on spending 6 figures on a med school, what's another 1500 to make sure you get there?

UCLAstudent

I'm a luck dragon!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2002
CA
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I'm in a course (Berkeley Review), and it has been so helpful to me. I feel like I'm making so much progress. I recommend a course, if possible. I think I would do well on the MCAT even without the course (I'm a very motivated person), but I really do think that the class has been good for me. (I shouldn't speak too soon, though... I haven't taken the MCAT yet! :) ) Anyway, I agree with the above poster... spending an extra 1500 is nothing compared to what med school is going to cost. :D

willthatsall

Unretired
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2004
GA
Status (Visible)
How do you like the Berkeley Review? I heard that was a great course. I would probably rather take that than either TPR or Kaplan, but those are the only two choices I have. The Kaplan Center that I went to around where I live wasn't that great, it was only like 2 classrooms and a little room with some video equipment. Is that the usual size of those things? I think I'd rather take TPR since at least they give you workbooks to take home.

About the Ads

OnMyWayThere

OMS-III
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2003
The best coast (west coast)
Status (Visible)
If you have a friend or acquaintance in a course that you can sit in with on a review course, I highly recommend it. I spent the $ to enroll in Berkeley Review this year ( I know you saw this coming UCLAstudent :) ) .. anyway it was good and all but I have been much much more productive studying on my own. I think the courses would benefit some and even take valuable time away from others. It is important to see how it affects you, and I think the best way to do that w/o spending the $$$ on it is sitting in on a session or two. I personally switched to examkrackers homestudy program and study about 3 hours a day with their material. I know people in all of the review companies and some feel as I do and some feel it has helped. Do a search, I found a ton of information on courses.

Good luck!

UCLAstudent

I'm a luck dragon!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2002
CA
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Hahaha, I knew you would post, OnMyWayThere! ;)

He brings up a valid point in that some people ARE more comfortable working on their own. I admit that, normally, I would be one of them. I guess I'm taking a review course more for "security" than anything.

Anyway, if you are choosing between Kaplan and Princeton Review, I would definitely go with Princeton. Most people that I know have said that Kaplan isn't so great... even my biology counselor! :laugh:

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.