To take or not to take a Diagnostic test??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OMFS08

Tooth Extractornator
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am getting ready to begin my rigorous studying for the DAT. My question is, does it make sense to take a full length test before beginning to study? If you took a full length test before studying please provide further insight. If you do not think it is a good idea please elaborate as well. Thank you. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

You should wait till you have studied atleast a fair amount, so that you can get an accurate gauge of your weaknessess. Your weaknessess before you start studying is not an accurate indication, b/c you may have forgotten things that you really know.

Of course you should take a full length practice test before you start studying. Why start studying for a test when you haven't been through the format and such? If anything, you'll have an idea of what you'll be up against. I highly recommend to take a diagnostic test before your studies. Remember to take the entire test in one sitting!

take it! it will be a good motivation for you to study. you will get scared like I did. 14 OChem :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I am getting ready to begin my rigorous studying for the DAT. My question is, does it make sense to take a full length test before beginning to study? If you took a full length test before studying please provide further insight. If you do not think it is a good idea please elaborate as well. Thank you. :confused:
i think the practice test(s) before you study give you a good standard on where to start. i also think it helps to see the question formatting that way you can adjust your study methods accordingly. like someone else mentioned, it scared the crap out of me to score so low at first that it motivated me to be more vigorous with my initial studying. GL!

I have taken 4 practice tests so far, and I haven't even opened a book.
They really focus what you need to study. Also give you some confidence.

Well it looks like the majority of people are for taking a practice or multiple practice tests before actually starting so I think I will go with that. Thanks alot guys. Any more takers??!!

So Kaplan offers a free test online.
And maybe even a free diagnostic.

i would wait till you have studied. You probably forgot alot of stuff from earlier classes, so why waste a test when you know you will do poorly on it. Study a bit then take it. That is what i did.

i would wait till you have studied. You probably forgot alot of stuff from earlier classes, so why waste a test when you know you will do poorly on it. Study a bit then take it. That is what i did.

Hey musl thanks for the advice. Quick question how did you study for the DAT? How long did it take you? What books did you use? Thanks.

Thanks alot. Good scores. Congrats on your acceptance. I am appying to NYU as well. HOw was your interview? What kinds of questions did they ask you?

Take the free Kaplan one. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain by taking it.

From my experience, kaplan free test has 2 PAT questions paired with wrong answers and 1 QR question that doesnt make any sense what so ever. so Watch out for those.

I suggest against it, only because you are most likely to be discouraged at first. Unless you have a really strong backround in all the sciences and such, you aren't going to do good. Study the blue book and then take the test.

Kaplan course required you take a first exam, got 15-16 on all sections except a 20 on QR (lol?)