To take or not to take Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DaddyBex28

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
DO student here.

I was initially signed up to take both Step 1 (July 5th, after pushing it back from June 12th) and COMLEX (June 23rd). I took COMLEX but I was emotionally, mentally and physically defeated afterwards. I ended up canceling my Step 1 the day after my COMLEX with the thinking if I failed COMLEX how could I pass Step 1.

Ended up with a 600+ on COMLEX.

I have the opportunity to extend my eligibility period for my test permit until the end of October. However, I am about to start rotations tomorrow and have no idea what that will be like, on top of trying to study for Step 1 (again).

Top fields I am currently interested in are general surgery, EM, and neuro but not entirely set on anything yet.

Any advice or insight is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Do a NBME practice test like 17 or 18 or UWSA2 and if you score around where you want to be, then sure. If otherwise the time for it has passed as frankly studying for it during rotations sounds horrible.

Do a NBME practice test like 17 or 18 or UWSA2 and if you score around where you want to be, then sure. If otherwise the time for it has passed as frankly studying for it during rotations sounds horrible.

Thanks for the advice.

So, I took a couple NBMEs during my dedicated (I know 17 was one of them and possibly 15? but I can't remember now) and was scoring a bit low about 3 weeks out from the test (low, but passing). I took UWSA 1 about 4 weeks out and scored 232. I still have UWSA 2 I can take as well as ~80% of Uworld left (2nd pass). The caveat is I haven't touched any material in about a month besides the occasional firecracker questions.

I'm just trying to decide if it's worth taking this exam but potentially barely passing or just to not take it and apply to programs that might be willing to forgo the fact that I didn't take Step for a strong app overall. I just don't know if there are programs that exist out there like that anymore and I'm not sure what is better or worse with the merger, especially with the fields I'm kinda leaning towards.

NBMEs are pretty accurate for most people. Mine were highly variable due to certain knowledge gaps, but most people find them predictive within a 6 point spread. Mine, overall, were about that but the spread was entirely in the negative end (yay test anxiety!).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Overall if you've been out of studying for a while now and your previous NBMEs haven't been great, then I wouldn't risk it. Especially since you got back a pretty strong COMLEX score.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

First, nicely done on the comlex.

And to answer your question:

Take it. It is the great equalizer. Don't limit yourself. Take as long as you need to study, but you should take it.

Even some residency programs that are "DO friendly" strongly advise osteopathic applicants to take step 1 and 2.

230 step > 600 comlex all day long.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm in the same boat, but I scored about 50 points lower on the COMLEX

I've heard that many ACGME programs don't really understand COMLEX scoring and look at the average ~ 520 to compare that to how you scored

If we scored above the comlex avg, and say I take the usmle and get a 220-225 - will that hurt my chances in getting an IM residency?

A professor at my school told me that sometimes its better if we don't take the usmle (unless you score well) bc programs can always wonder how we would score if we did take it, esp if we score above avg on the comlex

i understand that without taking the USMLE, the amount of acgme programs I can apply to are dramatically lowered; however, would I still have better chances to get into those programs that do accept DO students without a usmle score anyways w my current comlex score?

Hey! Hope you got things figured out. Probably way too late to add my two cents but I would certainly recommend taking the USMLE. A 600 on the COMLEX, NBME exams in the 230s, and your specialties of interest point to it being worthwhile. :)

Appreciate all the advice that was given.

Ended up scheduling Step 1 for the December break.

The rotations I've had thus far have actually helped with my step studying (basically all primary care rotations). It's been a bit draining to study for Step and COMATs/Shelf exams but I've actually found my basic science foundation/knowledge is far superior than it was when studying over the summer.

Cheers y'all and send me good vibes.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello all,

I am no longer interested in taking the test and I am selling my UWORLD subscription (ending in Feb 2018). let me know if you are interested, dm me