To take the GRE or not for post-bacc?

Started by TKE04
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

TKE04

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Greetings All!

I've read all the post bacc/GRE threads and haven't found applicable info yet. I am trying to figure out if I need to take the GRE to bolster my chances to get into Goucher/Bryn Mawr/Scripps/JHU/UVM. Stats: 3.94 GPA from top liberal arts school in 2008, 1300 SAT (650 and 650), 28 ACT, 2 years in Teach for America, and 1 year opening a charter school as the founding Mathematics teacher in a low income rural community.

I plan to start volunteering and shadowing in a clinical setting asap for as many hours in a week as possible (if anyone has great ideas of how to do this, I'd appreciate that too) and will apply to schools in late november/early december after I have a few months under my belt.

I'm most concerned about my SAT/ACT scores because I don't think they reflect me anymore as I took them almost 9 years ago. I took the LSAT last year and scored in the 94 percentile. I emailed the above schools to ask if I should take the GRE and got mixed answers. One said it probably wasn't necessary given my GPA. Two others said they would consider my LSAT score alongside the SAT/ACT, and John Hopkins said I could consider it if I thought it would make me a more competitive candidate.

I don't mind taking the GRE if it will be a make or break in getting me in to one of the top programs, but don't want to invest the time/$ if it will have little to no impact, given my current stats.

Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you.