To tell interviewer I was rejected or not??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

geldrop

Crushed Pepper Rules
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok heres the situation, I interviewed at a medical school it was my first choice and statistically I would be a very competative candidate. I interview there the interviewer tells me he will recommend me and would like to see me go there.

Well now I got a rejection letter after being on hold, and I am just a little annoyed. I don't expect it to do any good emailing my interviewer, probably make him feel bad and not change the way I feel. But I just want to inform him that they rejected me just to hear what he has to say.

Should I bother?

Members don't see this ad.

I am in the EXACT same situation as you are. As a matter of fact I did send an email to my interviewer just because I felt so positive after the interview and there were many subtle hints about me being accepted. Regardless, I asked the interviewer what held me back from being accepted and if he could give me any constructive criticism. To be honest, I really would like to know, why I was getting such positive feedback and was later rejected. Who better to ask than the interviewer? My .02

I guess it couldnt hurt to ask, but beware, just because an interviewer gives you positive signals doesnt mean jack. They could be playing you. In fact, they could very likely be the ones that discouraged the adcom from accepting you. So take it with a grain of salt, you'll never know.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by scootad.
I guess it couldnt hurt to ask, but beware, just because an interviewer gives you positive signals doesnt mean jack. They could be playing you. In fact, they could very likely be the ones that discouraged the adcom from accepting you. So take it with a grain of salt, you'll never know.

That's totally right. I actually don't remember any interviewer telling me that they would recommend me. But it's really how HARD they will lobby for you. They could be "yah, person A is a good fit for this school" or "i'm not leaving this room until you accept person A". I would have a hard time imagining most ppl screwing up the interview too much. But to really impress the interviewer is another thing. But yah...it doesn't hurt to email the dude.

Originally posted by scootad.
They could be playing you. In fact, they could very likely be the ones that discouraged the adcom from accepting you.

That can be a sneaky interview strategy. Giving the interviewee a false sense of security can get them to let down their guard.

Just don't burn any bridges in case you need to apply again. If the school offers it, take advantage of any post-rejection interviews they have. Sometimes an admissions officer will talk to you and tell you exactly what was on their mind when deciding on you.

I had an interviewer recently tell me that she would recommend me for admission. However, she did tell me that though she is going to recommend me, it did not necessarily mean that the admissions committee would select me for admission. She told me that she honestly did not know how they selected applicants for the entering class. Basically, what they wanted to know from her was whether or not I communicate well, etc. From there, the adcom decides who gets selected or not.

On the other hand, I interviewed at another school last year and was told that I would get in without problem. I was rejected. I talked to the admissions director who even told me that my interviews were fine and that I came highly recommended by them. However, I had a low PS score on the MCAT and one person on the admissions committee voted me down for that reason. I got the score up, reapplied with a one point drop in the Verbal score and was rejected pre-interview this year. Go figure!

You also have to remember that the interview carries different weight at different schools. Even if you have a perfect interview evaluation, there may be something else (besides stats) in your application that didn't fit right. Let's face it: every medical school has more than enough qualified applicants. There is a major crapshoot element to being accepted. Also, just because some is an interviewer for a medical school, it does not mean that they are on the adcom. A piece of paper of an evaluation may not be as strong as an actual presentation.

that sucks that you got rejected from the school after a good interview. but just because the interviewer has a favorable impression of you does not guarantee a spot in next year's class. it's true he may not actually be on the committee or maybe he gives a lot of good recommendations so his word is not as reliable to the adcom.

i would say it can't hurt to ask him but be careful how you word it. i would phrase it more in a manner of what area you could have improved upon to make yourself a stronger applicant instead of puting things in an accusatory manner. there are probably a lot of factors going into it--maybe they filled up the class, maybe someone on adcom had a bad day, maybe your file was a little wrinkled--could be very random things.

Okay, so this is sort of about the opposite situation, but I have to comment on the importance of the position of the person interviewing you (I've recounted this story elsewhere, I'm sure). During my interview (1 interview only) at one school, my interviewer said I was very lucky to have gotten her, because the guy originally scheduled to interview me (he called out sick) wasn't on the committee but she was. And she normally didn't even do interviews. As an out-of-state applicant at a state school that admits very few out-of-staters, one major issue for my interviewer (she was very enthusiastic about me- said she loved candidates like me, loved non-trads, etc. etc.) was being able to convince the committee that my ties to the state (via my fiance's family) were strong enough to overcome my actual residence. She impressed upon me how fabulous it was that, being on the committee, she was in a great position to convince the other members that they should accept me.

When I got "The Call" that I was admitted, the dean mentioned that my interviewer was key in my admission, because she had convinced the committee of my ties to the state. Still gotta write that thank-you letter to her :)

Dear geldrop,

I agree, you should definately send in a strongly worded letter about this to him. I think this world could do with a little more congeniality, and a little less duplicity. Remember, you have the right to know, and no one can take that away from you. Give him a piece of your mind, and don't hold back.

Hope that Helps

P 'Miss Congeniality '02' ShankOut

The interviewer does not decide who gets admitted, the adcom does. The interviewers recommendations are taken into account along with the rest of your application. So, as others have said, what the interviewer tells can be a hint at your chances but is by no means a final decision.

I think it is reasonable to call the admissions office and ask for insight as to why you were rejected. However, burning bridges is probably a bad idea.

Originally posted by indo
If we had to vote on who is the most bitter this app cycle I wonder who would get the most votes?

Any guesses?

Don't say stuff like that or he'll blame you next.