To those of you who were accepted....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

microgal

NYC's Finest
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did you have a general feeling about whether you would be accepted at that school, or was it a complete suprise? I interviewed at a school and I feel like my interview went exceptionally well, but my stats are borderline for that school. I feel like based on my interview they would accept me, but based on stats they wouldn't..... did most of you that got accepted just have stellar interviews or is there pretty much no correlation....

Members don't see this ad.

For me, I have no idea at all. At OSU, which was my first interview, I was REALLY nervous but I ended up getting accepted. At Umich and GW, I thought my interviews went well, but I got waitlisted at both schools. So my conclusion would be that it's all a crapshoot.

I think the problem with interviews judging whether you got in or not is that almost everyone feels like they had a good interview. That doesn't mean your interviewer thought the same thing unfortunately.

I felt good about GW, and I got in. But my stats were good for there also.

NYMC I feel good about, but won't know until Dec.

Maybe someone with several invites can give better perspective, but overall I think the applicants feeling after an interview is fairly unreliable.

Members don't see this ad :)
I felt like I interviewed really poorly at GW, and I got in.

For the two schools so far, I had a pretty good idea I woudl be accepted. At FSU the interview went great, was really hopeful. For USF interviews went pretty well and it is my undergrad school, was pretty hopeful.

I was a little surprised by VCU, I thought my application was strong going in, but my interview day felt pretty lackluster, but I got in anyway.

i had an interviewer tell me that i was pretty much in. of course, i was waitlisted and subsequently rejected.

Ouch, that must suck! Which school was this at?

At my interview last Tuesday at Marshall they told me I was accepted AT my interview. Talk about a total shock!!

i had an interviewer tell me that i was pretty much in. of course, i was waitlisted and subsequently rejected.

ouch does it help if the interviewer is the dean of admissions?

ouch does it help if your interviewer is the dean of admissions?

ugh, i had a couple of those. Talk about intimidating. I'm pretty sure one guy makes it a point not to smile at anyone just so no one thinks they've gotten in good with him. Or, maybe it's just me???:(

after my first listtle bunch of interviews, i felt awesome about 'em. now that a month or so has gone by... i can only think of potential minor flaws about 'em... or maybe things i should have worded differently, etc.

its funny how nothing has changed since my interview and yet my perspective has run around in circles from confident to pessimistic. there's no point speculating. thats my point.

(and you know when people say they did well and didnt get in... maybe they're not good at reading how well their interview went... maybe that was at a school that downweights interviews respective to the norm....

and you know when people say they did not do well and did get in... maybe again they're not good at reading how well their interview went... maybe again that was at a school that downweights interviews respective to the norm...)

This is just an opinion from someone who hasn't gone through the interview process so take it FWIW. I have read enough posts, been on enough interviews, and been involved in scholarship and hiring interviews so I know how it goes in general, though.

Your impression is not well correlated because interviewers look for personality and down-to-earth honest answers instead of pre-programmed sucking up. Whether or not someone likes you as a person has a great deal of weight.

Personally, I knew Pittsburgh was a go when one of my interviewers, the assistant dean of admissions, was a fellow Tool fan and, like me, had been to one of their concerts only a few days earlier.

after my first listtle bunch of interviews, i felt awesome about 'em. now that a month or so has gone by... i can only think of potential minor flaws about 'em... or maybe things i should have worded differently, etc.

its funny how nothing has changed since my interview and yet my perspective has run around in circles from confident to pessimistic. there's no point speculating. thats my point.

I know exactly what you mean, I always am thinking about the parts that could have been better, but right after I walked out I felt awesome.

This is just an opinion from someone who hasn't gone through the interview process so take it FWIW. I have read enough posts, been on enough interviews, and been involved in scholarship and hiring interviews so I know how it goes in general, though.

Your impression is not well correlated because interviewers look for personality and down-to-earth honest answers instead of pre-programmed sucking up. Whether or not someone likes you as a person has a great deal of weight.

Be careful, as a medical school interview is quite different than a job interview. Most job interviews, for instance are focused on technical skills, finding out experience, etc., whereas a medical school interview is to get much more of a holistic look, and as you said, determine one's level of humanity/charisma.

Baylor College of Medicine was my first interview, but I did interview there early (first day). The interview didn't go horribly or anything, but now with 6 more interviews under my belt, I see it could have gone better. I did get an acceptance at Baylor. University of Michigan was my second, I would say it went better than Baylor. The student interview was fantastic, but I'd say the faculty interview was a hard read and could have been more excellent. I got accepted at U of M. I knew my Michigan State interview went Horrible with the student interviewer (he was a really awkward M1), but okay with the faculty. Haven't heard back from them...

I guess I haven't had enough feedback from schools (no rejections yet) to fully forumlate a better idea. I do think that we overestimate how well interviews go, though. I don't think the process itself is a craphshoot, but I'd say an applicant's evaluation of one's own interview is.

Be careful, as a medical school interview is quite different than a job interview. Most job interviews, for instance are focused on technical skills, finding out experience, etc., whereas a medical school interview is to get much more of a holistic look, and as you said, determine one's level of humanity/charisma.

Baylor College of Medicine was my first interview, but I did interview there early (first day). The interview didn't go horribly or anything, but now with 6 more interviews under my belt, I see it could have gone better. I did get an acceptance at Baylor. University of Michigan was my second, I would say it went better than Baylor. The student interview was fantastic, but I'd say the faculty interview was a hard read and could have been more excellent. I got accepted at U of M. I knew my Michigan State interview went Horrible with the student interviewer (he was a really awkward M1), but okay with the faculty. Haven't heard back from them...

I guess I haven't had enough feedback from schools (no rejections yet) to fully forumlate a better idea. I do think that we overestimate how well interviews go, though. I don't think the process itself is a craphshoot, but I'd say an applicant's evaluation of one's own interview is.

Thanks for the insight. I think it was dumb for me to write my original post as it is an uninformed opinion, but I do agree that people don't put enough emphasis on their humanity/charisma, as you put it. That goes for both med students and job hopefuls.

I tend to be pretty hard on myself, so after every single interview I thought of a thousand ways in which I could have done better. So far I've only had one interview (1 of 2 at that particular school) where I really clicked with the interviewer and felt I did great. The other interview at the same school I think was just OK, but I was accepted. I was also accepted to two other schools where I didn't think I performed super well (but not poorly either). So yeah, I was pleasantly surprised. But then again, my stats were probably at the high end for all of those schools.

Did you have a general feeling about whether you would be accepted at that school, or was it a complete suprise? I interviewed at a school and I feel like my interview went exceptionally well, but my stats are borderline for that school. I feel like based on my interview they would accept me, but based on stats they wouldn't..... did most of you that got accepted just have stellar interviews or is there pretty much no correlation....

After going on several interviews and getting acceptances/waitlists...also from reading all of your comments...I'm not sure how much the interview is truly worth. As long as you show some social competence and your stats are good for the school, then you stand a good chance. I think that the stats hold an especially high value for OOS applicants. I know in my state, they have let in ppl with stats below the average but OOS applicants are generally stronger. Oh, well! I guess just have fun at the interviews and can't worry too much about the rest b/c it's pretty hard to tell in the end! Good luck to everyone!:D

Got the first one today... It was my state school where my stats were well above thier averages, I showed significant interest in the school during the interview (aka, I outlined my reasons clearly), and I'm a legacy there to go along with it...

...but Damn, I was nervous as hell making the phone call to find out if I got in today.

Congrats, man! Now you can sit back and enjoy the rest of the year before the craziness starts next fall!:D