To those that have taken the OAT...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OATAcer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have my exam in a month and I was wondering if anyone remembers what topics were covered on Physics, Gen-Chem and O-Chem when ya'll took the OAT?

I heard there is a lot of formulas for Physics that students memorize and end up seeing a few on the actual exam. Same complaint with Gen-Chem and O-chem. I think it would be best to have organization based off a study guide on what points to study hard for, rather then studying everything and only 30% if it appearing in the actual exam.

I am good with biology - studying Kaplan flash cards and reading the Kaplan book.

QR - Working on questions from Kaplan book and Math Destroyer.

Please share.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

I can't remember the topics exactly, but for those subjects I would look over Chad's videos (google Chad's videos OAT). Wouldn't do anything other than that. He tells you exactly what you need to know.

I can't remember the topics exactly, but for those subjects I would look over Chad's videos (google Chad's videos OAT). Wouldn't do anything other than that. He tells you exactly what you need to know.

What the... I replied and it got erased...

anyway,

You can't pick and choose the main topis on the real OAT exam as they vary from time to time. You must know all topics.

Physics: for me most questions were centred around kinetics, torsions, vectors, optics

org chem: you must memrzie all reactions in the blue book. Also knnow sn1/sn2/e1/e2 reactions well and you will do well.

gen chem: for me the quetsions were from random topics all over the place. as you solve destroyer questions, you will realze that you can quickly narrow down the question types into smaller categories. gen chem should be the least amount material to study for.

Members don't see this ad :)

The thing is that I already have Kaplan materials and oat destroyer and I like to learn by reading. I looked at his site and he lists so many topics so each section like a general layout....his videos do not break it down piece by piece what specifically you should know.

anyway,

You can't pick and choose the main topis on the real OAT exam as they vary from time to time. You must know all topics.

Physics: for me most questions were centred around kinetics, torsions, vectors, optics

org chem: you must memrzie all reactions in the blue book. Also knnow sn1/sn2/e1/e2 reactions well and you will do well.

gen chem: for me the quetsions were from random topics all over the place. as you solve destroyer questions, you will realze that you can quickly narrow down the question types into smaller categories. gen chem should be the least amount material to study for.

Maybe the admin doesnt want answers to this topic Lol

I see, so the topics you mentioned above is just the main important stuff I need yo know but I must still study all other topics?

I took it last August so don't remember much but...

Biology: It was really all over the place for me so..study everything!
Chemistry: This was kinda all over the place too...but definitely know stoichiometry and rate equations (+ the graphs). Know the periodic table very well and the generals trends (e.g. EN, electron affinity, radius...). Redox reactions. Enthalpy equations...
Ochem: I watched all the tutorial videos from ochem.com (No joke) and took notes on them. Took like 3 full days? But definitely worth all the work.
Physics: Maybe try to be familiar with them if you don't want to memorize them. You can definitely infer from the information given what the equation could be.
QR: The Kaplan tests are really good for practice. I found them to be very time consuming so I paced myself to them and the real thing was much easier. I had like 20-25 minutes to spare.

I took it last August so don't remember much but...

Biology: It was really all over the place for me so..study everything!
Chemistry: This was kinda all over the place too...but definitely know stoichiometry and rate equations (+ the graphs). Know the periodic table very well and the generals trends (e.g. EN, electron affinity, radius...). Redox reactions. Enthalpy equations...
Ochem: I watched all the tutorial videos from ochem.com (No joke) and took notes on them. Took like 3 full days? But definitely worth all the work.
Physics: Maybe try to be familiar with them if you don't want to memorize them. You can definitely infer from the information given what the equation could be.
QR: The Kaplan tests are really good for practice. I found them to be very time consuming so I paced myself to them and the real thing was much easier. I had like 20-25 minutes to spare.

I have the purple Kaplan book, it has 2 practice exams...you mean that one?

No someone lent me bunch of kaplan tests dating to like 2004 (or something like that)? I think they're the ones people get when they're signed up for the class. The purple kaplan book is like a really small subset of the tests they give the class. For some reason, each test was like focused on a particular math subjects (e.g. algebra, probability, rates) so they don't help you determine your score, but they help you determine your weaknesses.

Bio- a lot of material but not too bad. they throw in anatomy/physoi stuff
Chem- pretty general
OChem- mostly Ochem1 stuff
Physics- lots of newtons laws and some circuits, lens, wave, etc
QR- know your trig. functions like law of cosine/sine/unit circle. Skip the ones that are time consuming.

good luck!

Well all I did for Gen Chem, Orgo, and Physics was watch his videos & take his quizzes. We may prefer different learning styles (visual and auditory) so I guess it wouldn't be helpful.

Well all I did for Gen Chem, Orgo, and Physics was watch his videos & take his quizzes. We may prefer different learning styles (visual and auditory) so I guess it wouldn't be helpful.

What were your stats on the OAT?

I used Kaplan big book to study all the sections first.... then I used OAT destroyers and Math and Physics destroyers... (I did not use any of the flash cards or anything... I just got the big book second hand and made my own review notes) I started doing practice tests about 3 weeks before, I had the Kaplan book with practice problems and 2 full length tests... OAT Achievers (those tests were good practice by relatively very hard)... any free online OAT practice tests.

anyway,

For O-Chem, which reactions from the blue book? I am not sure what you mean by all reactions?