To those who have families

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

montanapat

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Getting school paid for doesn't seem to be that difficult these days with scholorships, grants and loans. My question is how do you get paid? I have a wife and child and bills to pay. Is it possible for the wife to not work and go to school? Can or do some of you live off of student loans? Hopefully my wife will be entering a speech pathology program once I start Med school so that will have her out of the job market. Any Ideas.... besides get a job?
 
I'm assuming you go to undergrad full-time, and do not work, so your wife's income supports your family. Yes, you can both be full-time students with no income, but you will, of course, accrue large amounts of debt like this, especially with a child, that will have to be paid off some time in the future.

As far as actually getting money… I don't know how much you know; I'm assuming you file a FAFSA every year if you're undergrad. If this is your first degree, you should be getting thousands in Pell Grants. Free money. All your wife has to do is file a FAFSA and she can get need-based grants and student loans also.
 
I'm a graduating medical student with two children. My wife began her undergraduate degree during my first year of medical school. It has worked out perfectly. We have just enough money to live off and support our children. Also, with her being a student rather than working, it makes it possible for one of us to be home all the time with the kids and get them to and fro school. She attends an inexpensive state school, and because we have children, grants and scholarships absorb most of the costs of tuition. She will have very little debt after graduating and she will be graduating from undergrad at the same time that I graduate from medical school.