to those with a job as PHLEBOTOMIST

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Winston Smith

i didn't do it
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How did you guys manage to get a job? Some of the phlebotomist classes are 2 days but jobs require a minimum of 50 blood draws before you can work there...did you guys volunteer somewhere (like the Red Cross) and get all of your sticks? I've asked this before but never recieved input from people who actually got a job as a phlebotomist. Also, did you call virtually every hospital and blood bank asking for a job? I really need to know before I hand over $300 for the class...I've heard obtaining a job as a phlebotomist is very difficult so I really need your guys' input. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

PM oldman. he's probably busy with med school and not reading the boards, so i would just PM to get an answer.

oldman is also an EMT-B...not sure if this was his only qualification or not though. And yeah, he's going through gross ananatomy right now.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know what state you're in, but here in Colorado they're always looking for phlebotomists. Look at large companies that run the labs in or for hospitals (ie. we have quest diagnostics) or blood bank services. They often have classes that they are heading or can recommend where to take a class. Normally they cost quite a bit and take several weeks to finish when you include the training portion of the class. So $300 isn't that unusual. How long is your course?? The neat thing about taking a class with a lab company or hospital is that they often hire you right out of the program. I got trained through such a company at a local hospital and started working at a Children's hospital right after I finished the class. The class should provide you enough practice to get you into a job.

I contacted blood banks near me but none of them will teach me or offer any classes. I haven't tried lab companies but that does sound like a good idea if I can get a job directly from them. Well the class I found is 17 hours on one weekend so it won't give me that much experience, meaning I won't be able to find a job that easily. I have also found another class at a community college just yesterday that's a lot cheaper ($44) but is a 3 month class. I am still thinking what to do. I want to start working now because I need an income so the 17 hour class looks good ideally, I just don't know if I will be able to find a job or not! thanks for your input!

Most hospitals and even some medical facilities will teach you phlebotomy for free if they hire you for a lab position. I was hired by a medical facility and only had to stick my boss successfully before they let me work on patients. Most of the people that I work with got their experience in a hospital, working on patients who weren't conscious (scary huh?) But you've got to start somewhere.

The job is not difficult, but it does require alot of practice to be really good at it. All things considered, you will have to learn this in medical school. So, it's better to get a head start on it now than freak out in medical school. (If you don't believe me, check out the venipuncture thread in the allopathic chat room.)

I really want to do it.

So if it's the experience that's needed then I think I'll go ahead and take the 2 day course and volunteer as a phlebotomist for my local Red Cross...that way I'd gain experience and hopefully one of the employees at Red Cross can help me find an actual job. Thanks for your help.