To void or not to void?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Soccer Lover

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 4.0 GPA as a junior right now, and I want to take the MCAT before it changes. I am making around 27's on my MCAT, and I am scheduled to take it next week. Should I void it and study more so my score goes up more, or just see what my score is? I don't want to make a low score and not be able to get into medical school. Please advise me on what to do!

Members don't see this ad.

How much did you study? Do you think you can improve with more time? The last old MCAT is offered in January, so you have a fair bit of time. I'd void this one and buckle down and study extremely hard. Pay for a review course if you have to and haven't already. You might not get into an MD school with a 27. It is about average for DO, but even then, I'd definitely try to raise my score - even 2-3 points would be huge in my opinion.

With a 4.0, the MCAT will be limiting factor in your application. A 4.0 / 36+ will make you competitive at top 20 schools. A 4.0 / 30-32 will make you a good applicant at some mid-tier schools. A 4.0/27 might make it hard to get into any MD school.

Last edited:
Definite void. Get the best score you can the first time around. A 32 isn't quite the same if it's a 32 retake. And a 4.0 would be killed by a 27 or less. It would take you from potential elite schools to potential no acceptances at all.

Take the test. Get the experience. Know what to expect when studying for the next time. Destress for the second, real time you take it.

It's kind of cheating the system, but I don't think there's anything they can do, so that part is your call as far as if you see any moral dilemma and, if so, how you want to act on it.

A 27 is fine for most DO programs, but close to lethal for MD ones. How badly do you want the MD degree? If "a lot", then yes, void the exam, and only take it once you're fully ready.

I have a 4.0 GPA as a junior right now, and I want to take the MCAT before it changes. I am making around 27's on my MCAT, and I am scheduled to take it next week. Should I void it and study more so my score goes up more, or just see what my score is? I don't want to make a low score and not be able to get into medical school. Please advise me on what to do!