To wait another year + MCAT retake

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clinke

Resident
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. So I'm in sort of a pickle (in my mind). So I took the MCAT in May and got 25M :( At the time, my thought was that I could still apply and be successful this season with that score (and my 3.25, 3.1 sGPA). All the advice from my friends and family is that I should have retaken the MCAT in either August or September, hoped to get at least a 28, and be more confident for the current application season. Well, now it is almost october, and I only have one interview :( Only 1 school has completely rejected me (Rocky vista), and two have me on hold. I applied to 20 schools.

Here is my question: I have the interview on Oct. 4. By the time mid October comes, and if I do not get accepted by this school, and if I don't get offered any more interviews, should I start to study up again for the January MCAT, and just plan on applying again next year? I really wouldn't like this idea, but I feel it could be the wisest decision I could make with my terrible stats.

Any advice would be appreciated :) thanks guys

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone. So I'm in sort of a pickle (in my mind). So I took the MCAT in May and got 25M :( At the time, my thought was that I could still apply and be successful this season with that score (and my 3.25, 3.1 sGPA). All the advice from my friends and family is that I should have retaken the MCAT in either August or September, hoped to get at least a 28, and be more confident for the current application season. Well, now it is almost october, and I only have one interview :( Only 1 school has completely rejected me (Rocky vista), and two have me on hold. I applied to 20 schools.

Here is my question: I have the interview on Oct. 4. By the time mid October comes, and if I do not get accepted by this school, and if I don't get offered any more interviews, should I start to study up again for the January MCAT, and just plan on applying again next year? I really wouldn't like this idea, but I feel it could be the wisest decision I could make with my terrible stats.

Any advice would be appreciated :) thanks guys

I saw your post and couldn't resist throwing my 2 cents in. The current application cycle is not even over yet and you are fortunate to have one interview so far. This is what you have and you can focus on your interview for now. If you feel you need to improve your MCAT score, you can always retake. If you don't get in this year, you can always try again next year. It doesn't really matter how many interviews you receive and what MCAT scores you got. You only need one acceptance for one school. Don't worry about something that hasn't even occurred. When they invite you for interview, they like what they see on the paper and they just want to know who you are. Show them what you really got and worry about your MCAT score later. Best of luck to you.

I saw your post and couldn't resist throwing my 2 cents in. The current application cycle is not even over yet and you are fortunate to have one interview so far. This is what you have and you can focus on your interview for now. If you feel you need to improve your MCAT score, you can always retake. If you don't get in this year, you can always try again next year. It doesn't really matter how many interviews you receive and what MCAT scores you got. You only need one acceptance for one school. Don't worry about something that hasn't even occurred. When they invite you for interview, they like what they see on the paper and they just want to know who you are. Show them what you really got and worry about your MCAT score later. Best of luck to you.

Much appreciated. BTW, I go to LUC as well.

Way too early to throw in the towel yet. There are some schools who are just now conducting the first interviews! 25M is fine for DO school - it's not just a numbers game. There's no magic formula.

Hang in there! Waiting is the hardest part.