To Waterloo Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sgreen

pfffffft
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I submitted my application to the OUAC towards the end of September, and I still haven't received my application package in the mail yet from UW. Has anyone else received theirs? Or maybe Waterloo just likes to take their sweet time to mail things out :p . I'm getting worried!

Members don't see this ad.

Don't even worry about it. Waterloo probably just hasn't gotten around to mailing them out yet. Even if you don't get the application package until December or later, you'll be fine. Waterloo doesn't do rolling admissions, so they don't look at any applications until after their deadline (sometime in Februaryish?). It doesn't matter if you send in your app tomorrow or the day before the deadline.

I was the same way, I had sent in my OUAC application in mid September, but go nothing. Last week I wrote the school of Optometry, and they said:

"
We have just learned from the University of Waterloo, that unfortunately, applications from OUAC won't begin to be received until October 15. So, application packages will be sent out after this date. "

So don't worry, everybody (should) be in the same boat as you and I. However, I thought that we would be receiving an electronic version of the application, although it sounds like we will be getting a hard copy of it.

Anybody know what has happened in past years?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes Yes
The U. Waterloo School of Optometry came to U of T for a professional school fair and I spoke to a representative (on Oct 2), telling her I had applied on OUAC and I was waiting . And she told me exactly what was mentioned above, that the university won't be recieving applications from OUAC until October 15th. So I'm sure the applications will arrive soon in the mail. She did tell me to check out the sample application that is online so I know what to expect (if you are impatient). But theres no need to rush to send in the application since they don't have rolling admissions.

DOES anyone know/think that maybe they will accept students with a lower average than last year (81-94% was last years range) since there will be no 2nd years applying and filling spots?? :D??

jenboo23 nonono waterloo would never do that- they have to uphold their hardest to get into optometry university title- well at least in canada lol there are only 2

but yes that does look good and the advisor told me that all interviews are done in jan and feb if you get one

Today I recieved an email from U Waterloo with application forms, instructions, and brochure attached! So it seems like I can just print it off and mail it in, now I'm not sure if they will be mailing anything to my house! So check your emails!

Yep, I got my application form to by email. Looks like we won't receive a hard copy of the application, we just have to print off the PDF. I couldn't find the essay question anywhere. Is there an essay question??

HOPEFULLY THERE IS NO ESSAY QUESTION HA HA HA....

Ya I couldn't find it. If anyone knows please share

Well....I guess we all jumped the gun a little bit. A quick search of the Waterloo website answered the essay question....

Section F: EssayYou are required to write an essay covering a predetermined topic. The essay provides the Admissions Committee with an opportunity to examine your writing ability and level of comprehension within the context of optometry. After you apply, you'll receive specific instructions for completing and submitting your essay.

I guess the stress of waiting for our application has caused us to lose all rational thinking! :D Good luck everyone with getting your application in (on top of finishing midterms and all the rest)!