To WesternU or TCOM students---ANY REGRETS???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tonydtgr

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've narrowed down my choices to WesternU or Texas COM to attend for next year. This is a question for students currently attending either school...
I've heard of good things for both schools. However, now, I'd like to hear from TCOM or WesternU students who have anything negative to say about their schools. Perhaps you've been dissapointed since you attended your school and wish you had chosen another school. Or perhaps you're totally happy with your school but just have a couple of little things that you wish could see improved with your school. Either way, I'd like to hear what you have to say! thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I have absolutely no regrets with WesternU/COMP. I personally think its a very good medical school that puts out very fine physicians in all types of specialties in the medical world. I had gotten acccepted to other medical schools also & I still don't feel I've made a mistake

The only beef I have w/ WesternU/COMP is the BRUTAL curriculum-8 to 5 schedule everyday. I just don't feel its very conducive learning. BUT then again, this is medicine so no room for slackers in this game if you want to become an excellent doc.

The tuition is high (but I think that's almost the same in a lot of other schools) & its located in Pomona....not the safest place in the world. However, you are in southern california so excitement & adventure are defintely NOT absent.

Overall, the BIGGEST thing I love about Western/COMP are the people. I have never met such a friendly environment of medical collegues before. Stiff competition does not exist here. The program is TOUGH as it is so medical students become close to each other & bond together to try & survive the program.

If you DO decide to attend WesternU/COMP, just BE ready to WORK (like any other medical school). Best of luck to you in your decision!!!
smile.gif

Rob
WesternU/COMP Class of 2002

I'm a CA transplant to Texas and like TCOM a lot. I interviewed and was accepted at WesternU/COMP and did not go for the following reasons: 1) I was interested in dual degree training and research and did not feel like those interests would be supported at WesternU; 2) At the time, the rotations at WesternU/COMP were almost all in Arizona. I know that has changed and more local rotations have been established. The Arrowhead Regional Hospital in San Bernadino is supposed to be great. Also, the tuition is very high at WesternU. I paid less as an out of state student at TCOM than I would have as a CA resident at COMP. If you can get in-state tuition at TCOM by earing competitive scholarships or research fellowships, then your tuition as an out-of-stater drops to $6500.00/year. That's right---six grand per year.

The hours and curriculum at TCOM are a lot like WesternU's---mostly 9am-4pm. Based upon conversations I've had with other medical students (both MD and DO), it is my impression that the basic science curriculum at TCOM is heavily weighted towards minutia and pinge and purge learning. It is probably not much different at most other medical schools. I think that TCOM really benefits from its close affiliation with an academic health science center (it receives either the highest or second highest amount of NIH grant money of all DO schools) and its proximity to two medium-sized osteopathic hospitals. TCOM students, and DO's on a whole, have a good reputation in Texas and the opportunities to do electives at major medical centers in Houston, Temple, Galveston, and Dallas are pretty open. TCOM students have traditionally done very well in both the osteopathic and allopathic residency matches.

There is a lot of exciting clinical and basic science research underway at TCOM, especially in cardiovascular disease and stroke, rheumatology, and OMM. However, if you're not interested in research this may mean very little to you.

The atmosphere at TCOM is moderately competitive. The administration has been criticized by some students for fostering this atmosphere. Our classes are numerically graded with 75 = passing and we're ranked after every semester. Students I know at schools like Stanford and Yale find this a little hard to believe. The latter schools are strictly pass/fail (TCOM is not) and de-emphasize class rank (TCOM does not). I don't know how WesternU works their grades and class ranking system.

TCOM is rapidly expanding (both physically and academically) with a new school of public health, an alzheimer's research center, a biotechnology transfer consortium, and a new geriatrics program. Ronald Blanck, DO, (the former US Army Surgeon General) will be our new President next year and it is anticipated that he will continue to expand the health science center and increase TCOM's reputation nationally.

Both schools are great. Take your pick---it's nice to have choices. I know a couple interns from WesternU and they're very bright and student friendly. TCOM is definitely more research oriented of the two. WesternU is in CA (which I miss), is established, and has access to all the wonderful distractions of southern CA.

--dave

[This message has been edited by drusso (edited 01-16-2000).]

Members don't see this ad :)
This is the type of info I was looking for! Thanks a lot for the help. I'll take everything into consideration.

I've heard that WESTERNUCOMP is great and it has good facilities but the place looks like a strip mall.
How is their record as far as producing quality DOctors? Would they be willing to take a 3.4GPA with 30MCAT? Opinions anyone? Thanks in advance.

Hey adismo,

I believe you will have a great chance at WesternU/COMP. You are right about the campus looking like a strip mall-only because it used to be a mall
smile.gif

Tha campus is contantly extending & expanding. It wasn't like it used to be in the 80s. You will be on campus for only 2 years so don't worry too much about appearance. The rotations that COMP is affiliated is great. No question that they produce very quality-type physicians. The fact that a lot of the alums I've met are able to contend with a lot of the competitive AMA residency programs in southern cali speaks for itself. I was unaware before of COMP grads contending for the extremely competitive southern cali AMA slots, but they were very successful. That should tell you something about WesternU/COMP.

Remember that appearance of the campus shouldn't be that big of a deal, but what type of rotations you will be able to get, ave board scores, where do alums go or are able to contend with should be TOPS when choosing a school. If you choose WesternU/COMP, you will definitely work your butt-off, but you will defintely be competitive in the physician-job amrket. No slackers in this buisness or else. Good luck to you!!!!

Rob
WesternU/COMP Class of 2002

Nice overview of TCOM atmosphere drusso! Thanks!

I am going to visit TCOM tomorrow, any advice? Is there anything in particular that I should ask about?

Thanks,

-RHC-