"To Whom it May Concern....." is that correct?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chilon85

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a quick question regarding the letters of recommendation. One of my professor's emailed me recently and wanted to know if the LOR's should be vague regarding who they are addressed to; i.e. "Office of Admissions," and "Dear Selection Committee," or if they should be addressed to specific people (which she said she would do if needed).

However, I am not really sure what to do because I don't know anyone specific in the medical schools that I am applying to. Also, would it really be a huge deal if the letters were addressed "to whom it may concern?" What do you think? Thanks in advance and good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Many, many times the LOR writer sends a single "generic" letter to a service (either in your school's pre-professional office or to Interfolio) and the salutation is To Whom It May Concern: This is perfectly acceptable. More rarely, a writer will send a single letter to a single adcom (e.g. when an alumnus/faculty member is writing specifically to recommend an applicant for one particular school). In those instances, the letter is often addressed to the Dean of Admissions (and likely that the writer knows the Dean from previous encounters).

LizzyM said:
Many, many times the LOR writer sends a single "generic" letter to a service (either in your school's pre-professional office or to Interfolio) and the salutation is To Whom It May Concern: This is perfectly acceptable. More rarely, a writer will send a single letter to a single adcom (e.g. when an alumnus/faculty member is writing specifically to recommend an applicant for one particular school). In those instances, the letter is often addressed to the Dean of Admissions (and likely that the writer knows the Dean from previous encounters).

Thank you for your relpy.

Members don't see this ad :)
doctajay said:
If you aren't using a premed committee, then it would be a generic greeting and address.
Agreed. Even if your prof is offering to hand address each letter he's sending out (wow), I'd decline. No value added, unless he knows someone in a particular office.

notdeadyet said:
Agreed. Even if your prof is offering to hand address each letter he's sending out (wow), I'd decline. No value added, unless he knows someone in a particular office.

Thanks for your input. Most of my professors have been really great about my LOR's but I wasn't sure what to tell people regarding this. Anyways, thanks again.