To whom should I report this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drcuddles

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My co-intern was feeling very dizzy with nausea and vomiting. So his upper made him stay at work and even do 2 admissions, all while he had a running IV NS into him and completely feeling sick. Contemplating on reporting this but not sure to whom. Also would prefer if I stay anonymous.

Members don't see this ad.

Program director. If this doesn't generate traction, you fill out an ACGME survey every year, it goes there and your program director gets to explain why the matter didn't generate any traction to the hospital administrators that have accreditation breathing down their neck.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's why you report to the ACGME. Those surveys are supposed to be anonymous and if they were used by a PD against a resident then there is a very high chance of that hospital losing millions of dollars per year in resident/indentured servant labor.

Reactions: 1 user
Your hospital should have a GME office, where local complaints can be submitted. I find it is often more fruitful to explore local options rather than national organizations. GME offices have protections for the submitter and take these things seriously.

Reactions: 1 user
Every training hospital has an an ombudsman. If you don't get traction from your PD (and you should), the ombudsman is someone who you can report things to. They are outside of your department and guarantee anonymity. They're always an independent resource, and they can raise hell at a high level, entirely anonymously.