TOEFL for Minnesota U?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paulee1983

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just read the admission criteria from MIN website:

ENGLISH LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY, TOEFL REQUIREMENTS

Do I need a TOEFL if I am a U.S. citizen? I don't think I need a TOEFL because I went to high school here, is that right? I took English courses in college, do I still need to take a TOEFL? What scores are required?

Anyone for whom English is not their native language must take an English language proficiency exam. The School of Dentistry requires that applicants take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). This requirement holds true regardless of citizenship, length of time in this country, or any courses taken.

Scores required are as follows:
Computer Based:

Total Score: 240
Listening: 21
Essay: 5

Internet Based:

Overall Score: 96-97
Writing: 25

I just naturalized to be a citizen and graduated from UCLA.....does anyone have similar situation and successfully waived the TOEFL? I mean, the next iBT TOEFL in my city will be Sep 28...which will be very late for the app. though...:(

Members don't see this ad.

Just read the admission criteria from MIN website:

ENGLISH LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY, TOEFL REQUIREMENTS

Do I need a TOEFL if I am a U.S. citizen? I don't think I need a TOEFL because I went to high school here, is that right? I took English courses in college, do I still need to take a TOEFL? What scores are required?

Anyone for whom English is not their native language must take an English language proficiency exam. The School of Dentistry requires that applicants take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). This requirement holds true regardless of citizenship, length of time in this country, or any courses taken.

Scores required are as follows:
Computer Based:

Total Score: 240
Listening: 21
Essay: 5

Internet Based:

Overall Score: 96-97
Writing: 25

I just naturalized to be a citizen and graduated from UCLA.....does anyone have similar situation and successfully waived the TOEFL? I mean, the next iBT TOEFL in my city will be Sep 28...which will be very late for the app. though...:(

Call the school directly and ask what they say.