Toledo MSBS 2024-2025

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

schmidttyy

Reaction score
Didn't see a thread for this year's class. Who else is attending this fall? Also, are there any alumna who could lend advice on courseload, study tips (like where to find anki decks and other resources), and research?

Members don't see this ad.

Didn't see a thread for this year's class. Who else is attending this fall? Also, are there any alumna who could lend advice on courseload, study tips (like where to find anki decks and other resources), and research?
Hi, current MSBS student and soon to be M1 here at Toledo in the fall so I can answer some of your questions. Course load is fine as we're usually only taking 1 class at a time besides the immuno/patho mix for 2 months in the spring. If you keep up with a little studying everyday and don't fall behind, should be great. If you're like me and wait until the last few days before an exam to start cramming, it will probably be a lot more stressful as this doesn't work for everyone! They had like a few pass-me down anki decks from previous years but I found them to be not that great as the formatting seemed very bad. People like me who did use anki usually made their own decks, but this can be very time consuming. People did well using anki and people did well who didn't, so just play around with your studying habits and learn what works for you honestly. I personally found anki to be great but it was a nightmare making cards sometimes and I felt really burnt out at times. Otherwise, everything you need to know is on the powerpoints and it's up to you to decipher what's important and what's not honestly (or memorize everything like me lol).
Research is as demanding as you want it to be honestly. You get your pick of labs in the fall and you get to meet with the PIs beforehand to discuss what they expect of you. If you enjoy research, pick a lab that's productive. If you don't, pick one that does the bare minimum. The amount of hours in our class that we put into research range from 0 to almost a full time job per week, so pick your poison. If you don't enjoy research, I suggest putting those extra hours into studying and extracurriculars like volunteering to become the best applicant you can. Let me know if you have any more questions!

Reactions: 1 user