Toluene would be the most soluble in..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmacycoffee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
a) H2O
b) NH3
c) CH3-O-CH3
d) CH3CH3

This is a question in my Dr Collins packet. It says the answer is C, but I thought it would be D. I thought that toluene was nonpolar because it contains all C-C and C-H bonds, but some other sites say that toluene is polar. Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

My Dr. Collins has the same questions except it is
A. NH3
B. H2O
C. CH3OH
D.C6H6

Answer is C with explanation "Toluene, a hydrocarbon, is soluble in a hydrocarbon".

Toluene is a polar molecule because it has that methyl group on top so it needs a polar hydrocarbon as a solvent.

I have the same questions but my packet says toluene is soluble in CH6H6 & CH3CH3. Toluene is definitely non-polar.
Both my explanation says "it is non-polar like toluene".

Members don't see this ad :)
mimkt, is your example coming from a Collins packet? If so, that inconsistency is annoying. I've thought toluene was nonpolar too since it has all C-H bonds.

Yep, I have the most recent Collins too. One of my friends has an older version and hers said the same thing as mine. I'm not sure why yours would say C bc it looks like it's polar due to the symmetry shape & the oxygen dipole.