Tons O' Respect for the large animal folks

Started by alliecat44
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

alliecat44

KSU CVM Class of '11
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just wanted to give a big "well done!!!" and "thank you!!" to all the people out there planning on doing large anmal medicine. I'm in the middle of a one-week LA externship at a fantastic practice. Having a great time and learning so many things--I had zero prior LA experience!

I knew going into it that LA med isn't for wimps, but man...you guys have to be so creative, excellent communicators, fantastic with the patients, able to practice all kinds of levels of medicine depending on client needs, and have LOTS of strength! Not to mention busting your a** all day for long, long days in less than ideal weather. You can read about it all you want, but until you try it...WOW. I know there's no way I could ever do this for a living--too weak and not enough patience. And too girly about getting that dirty (trying to change that!) on a daily basis. 🙂

Seriously, though, you guys have to be super-smart and incredibly good...and very dedicated. Good job!! And THANK YOU--I am very very grateful to have you in this world and be colleagues!!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes, well I admire you cat people. Those things can be little fuzz balls of furry. :laugh:

Tell me about it! I was always the go-to "cat lady" at the clinic where I worked; I've always been good at handling the catzillas, probably because I'm not really afraid of them.

The first time we had palpation class with a horse, though, I nearly peed my pants. :laugh: Bravo to the LA people! 👍
 
Aw, thank you! This is a timely post, as I am sitting here inspecting my bruises from last night's foal wrangling sessions. I found myself upside down in an isolation stall at one point. A moment before, I had been sitting on/straddling a foal's shoulders while trying to hit the saphenous vein, but he decided he'd had enough and just stood up. I'll admit, I do feel like I have "street cred" after getting pummeled and dragged around all night by uncivilized little heathens. 😉 (I say that tongue-in-cheek, I love my "wee" little beasties!)

As mentioned above, kudos to those of you who wrestle with unhappy cats and hit veins a fraction the size of the ones we deal with!
 
Last edited:
Tell me about it! I was always the go-to "cat lady" at the clinic where I worked; I've always been good at handling the catzillas, probably because I'm not really afraid of them.

The first time we had palpation class with a horse, though, I nearly peed my pants. :laugh: Bravo to the LA people! 👍

I think I'm going to be a member of this club--deal with keraaaazzy kittehs all the time, but a creature that can hoof me in the face?? 😱
Props to the LA peeps.
 
I'm definitely looking forward to meeting some LA people at Tufts this fall....While I work at a mixed shelter, my job has focused primarily on SA. I've always been in awe of the LA staff & have learned so much from them through the years. (In fact, I've just gone back to volunteering with them 1 day/week for the next 2 months--I 😍 mucking stalls!)

BIG props to anyone going into the field!!!!
 
I'm definitely looking forward to meeting some LA people at Tufts this fall....While I work at a mixed shelter, my job has focused primarily on SA. I've always been in awe of the LA staff & have learned so much from them through the years. (In fact, I've just gone back to volunteering with them 1 day/week for the next 2 months--I 😍 mucking stalls!)

BIG props to anyone going into the field!!!!


Got your back guppy! I'm one of the like 10 Large Animal people is the Tufts class, and plan on conforming you all to the dark side!
 
I work for a vet and we do mostly embryo flushing and transfers in dairy cows! It's pretty interesting stuff, but those girls can get pretty rowdy when you've been digging around their hoo-hoo's for 45 minutes! I am a huuge kitteh fan (you can find me on icanhascheezeburger.com a dozen times a day) but can't get enough of the lady cows!😀
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad