MD & DO Too early to contact potential mentor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicineN'Jazz

calling all jazzites
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y’all,
I’ve been sitting on this question for a while. There’s a field of medicine that I’m really interested in pursuing, but my school doesn’t have a department in this specialty. Would it be too early to contact a potential mentor in this field, if I’m an incoming M1? The physician in mind isn’t affiliated with my school in any way, but is located nearby. If the chance arises, i’d be very interested in doing research with this physician for the summer between M1 and my last two years of medical school.

What do you guys think? Bad idea to contact him now? Or should I wait until later in my school year to contact him? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think it's a bad idea to hit the ground running if you already have a strong interest. If you were doing this for like 5 different specialties then I would say don't waste everybody's time.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks everyone, I’m going to contact him later on this week! Truly appreciate the fast responses :)