too early to feel anxious?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fang

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For some reason, it has suddenly occured to me that in 5 months I'll be an intern, and it cares the crap out of me. I think it's because I took step 2 recently and it felt difficult, and because in the clinic I volunteer at I routinely miss things. For instance, the other day someone came in with abd pain that turned out to be due to constipation, but I didn't even think about that because he was in his 20's and mainly described the pain in relation to stress (I was thinking along the lines of functional pain, ibs, etc.). Arghh!!

Anyway, I expect residency to be a rewarding experience in the end and I realize that people have a lot of supervision initially, but here's what freaks me out:

1. I really hate moving, and so does my cat.
2. I question my clinical skills-- while I do very well on tests/boards and can be organized, I'm not sure how well that will translate into being a solid intern.
3. I know I'm going to miss things (like the guy with constipation) or make other errors in judgement... I just hope there are enough resources around where I can sort it out and learn from it without hurting anyone or feeling like a total pice of crap.

Anyway, I plan to read a lot before I start (IM)... any suggestions? I'm sure lots of people are anxious about residency (though perhaps not this soon)-- how do you deal with it, and is there anything you can do to make the transition easier?

Members don't see this ad.

right now i dont feel anxious about starting intern year but I feel VERY anxious about matching somewhere in my ROL. I think after march 12 I would be VERY anxious to be an intern in a couple of months!!

Nearly everyone feels nervous although as noted above it usually comes as a "oh &*^%! I matched and now I'm going to be an intern with real responsibilities in 4 months!"

Consider the following...

1) moving is a pain because of the work involved but if you see this as an opportunity to live somewhere new, meet new friends and have new experiences, perhaps that makes it a bit easier (of course, I was a militry brat who moved ALL the TIME so its old hat for me...I actually get "wander lust" after 5 years or so in the same place)

2) cats do hate moving, but they get over it. He/she will hide under the bed for a day or so, and then enjoy smelling the new floor/carpet, blinds, etc. and making sure that all the other stuff is familiar. I've moved animals all over the country and they adjust - as long as you feed and water them and give them lots of affection, they are just fine. If need be, your vet can give you a sedative for the furry guy for the trip.

3) internship and residency is about learning. At the beginning of the year there will be a wide range of skills and knowledge base amongst your fellow interns; by the end of the year it will even out for most of you (there's almost always one idiot in the group and it will NOT be you).

ORGANIZATION (which you say you are good at) is the KEY to being a good intern. In no way are you going to be expected to be a whiz at differential diagnosis or getting things right all the time. If that were the case, you wouldn't have to do a residency. Interns are supposed to be good at data gathering and repetition. If you can be organized, follow up on tests, consults, etc. and have the information at hand (ie, lab tests, patient's prior medical history, consult recommendations, etc.), I guarantee you, you will be a good intern.

You will learn the differential and workup of lower gi bleeds, fever of unknown origin and abdominal pain. You will miss stuff as an intern, a resident and even as an attending. This is a life long learning process. But you've already got the skills to make it easier by being organized and caring about the job you do.

I'd be a lot more worried if you weren't scared to death...that's normal and it means you are concerned enough that you will work hard to do a good job and be a better physician.