Too emotional with pediatric patients?

Started by NiteOwl
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

NiteOwl

Geek
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a question for those in pediatrics if you guys can help me out. I work in family practice right now and when we get pediatric patients I get way to overly emotionally envolved/too compassionate. How can I distance myself more? I don't want to turn coldhearted and unfeeling. But I react badly around kids. I can't stand to see them in pain, I don't want to do things that might make them uncomfortable, and I don't want to be around when they are screaming because they are going to be jabbed with a needle (thats a biggie there). I know treatment is for their own good and that most likely they will be fine after while and get past it. I think I even know what the problem that is causing my reaction is (I had a fear of doctors and needles when I was a kid, and a phobia of needles until I was 20, still dislike them), so it sort of hits home for me. But it clouds my judgement, makes my temper flare at times, and has nearly gotten me in trouble. If they start crying, I usually tear up when I leave the room.

I hate hurting emotionally, I hate thinking that the kid is hurting, how do I stop it? How do I distance myself? I was told I would be great in medicine because I would compasionate due to my issues with doctors and fears I had. True, but it is hindering me! Compassion is good, I want some compassion and emotion, but at the right time. I can handle adults, but kids get to me so bad. So does anyone have any suggestions? Any books or websites that might help? Thanks.
 
I think you might benefit from talking to a professional about this.

The thing I always look to is that I'd rather have them cry than die from measles or meningitis - seriously. Beyond that I can't really help you. It sounds like it stems from a phobia and for-real counselling might help.

I do think that until you are able to overcome this, that it is not safe for you to see kids unsupervised. There are a lot of times in the middle of the night when a kid is in pain and that's when you need to be able to think the clearest and be the most calm.

Good luck with this. I hope someone can help you more than my cruddy advice.
 
I think you might benefit from talking to a professional about this.

The thing I always look to is that I'd rather have them cry than die from measles or meningitis - seriously. Beyond that I can't really help you. It sounds like it stems from a phobia and for-real counselling might help.

I do think that until you are able to overcome this, that it is not safe for you to see kids unsupervised. There are a lot of times in the middle of the night when a kid is in pain and that's when you need to be able to think the clearest and be the most calm.

Good luck with this. I hope someone can help you more than my cruddy advice.


Yeah, and thats the thing. I know its for their own good. I would rather them cry for a minute than die of tetanus or because something was missed because bloodwork wasnt done.

I tried counselling a few years ago, it didn't help much. But I didn't connect much with the psychologist, and I don't think she didn't specialize in phobias. I probably do need to save up and talk to someone with more training than people here or than what she had. I just don't have the money right now to go.

Don't worry, I don't see kids unsupervised. I'm just a tech right now, so I don't provide treatment or anything that would hinder judgement yet. You are right about it stemming from my phobias. My guess is that that is where it is comming from. Your advice isn't cruddy. Thanks for it.

Any other advice that can help me control this until I can talk to someone?
 
Last edited: