too late for interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paqdaddy

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
wats up quyz? I know this might sound crazy but is it really too late to get into dental school this year? My application has been being processed w/ AADSAS for the past 5 weeks and hasnt been sent out to the programs to which I have applied as of yet. Do I stand a chance of being accepted for the 2005 starting class or will I have to postpone the start of my career in the feild of denstistry for a year?

Thanks for your input
slacker

Members don't see this ad.

paqdaddy said:
wats up quyz? I know this might sound crazy but is it really too late to get into dental school this year? My application has been being processed w/ AADSAS for the past 5 weeks and hasnt been sent out to the programs to which I have applied as of yet. Do I stand a chance of being accepted for the 2005 starting class or will I have to postpone the start of my career in the feild of denstistry for a year?

Thanks for your input
slacker

depends on your scores and where you applied dude..we need more info

pbure said:
depends on your scores and where you applied dude..we need more info

my scores: overall GPA: 3.25, science : 3.2

DAT: 17/18/16

not the best scores....appied to University of Buffalo, Case western, U conn, stoneybrook....

slacker

Members don't see this ad :)
paqdaddy said:

not the best scores....appied to University of Buffalo, Case western, U conn, stoneybrook....

slacker
To be honest with you, you need a little more work due to the competetiveness this year, but it's alright at least you get the experience. Good luck!

apply next year. retake your DAT.

t12kim said:
apply next year. retake your DAT.

his dats aren't that bad..total science score of 18 is solid. i think if you applied early next year to some private schools you'll be alright. make sure you have some research and shadowing experience though.
although if you feel you can do better then by all means attack the dats one more time..

you should look into adding NYU and BU to your list.

Rezdawg said:
you should look into adding NYU and BU to your list.

Rezdawg,
My stats are similar to yours and as of late, I am verrryy scared about not getting into dental school. I am a junior, my gpa is about 2.9 and I havent taken the DAT yet, but I anticipate doing well, because I am not dumb, just a few really bad grades tore down my gpa. The school I would really love to attend is BU. My question is what kind of extracurriculars and experience did you have? Did your interviewers at BU and NYU ask you why your gpa wasnt higher, and what did you say? Thank you !

pbure said:
his dats aren't that bad..total science score of 18 is solid. QUOTE]

yes, i agree with you that total science score of 18 is solid. Some people on this website who got into dental schools has 18 or 19 on DAT, but they have incredible overall and science GPA, like 3.6 and above. (of course there are exceptions!) If you don't have GPA like that, i think your application will be much more competitive with higher DAT score. Some people say it is so easy to get into NYU and BU. I don't agree with that. Getting into dental schools is so though and very competitive. No pain, no gain.

I have learned this from my personal experience. I have around 3.45 GPA both overall and Science, and I have 21/22/16. I had 22 on science and I got rejected by a couple private schools. Boston university told me to send them a recent transcript so that they can re-review my application. I go to University of California, San Diego. It is not like MIT, but its public school ranking is 7th in the nation, according to usnews. My point is that if you want to increase your chance of getting into dental school, retake your DAT. Make your application as competitive as possible. I wish you the best.

paqdaddy said:

slacker

If I were you, I would try til end this year. HONESTLY, I wouldn't go 'all in' on your application this year, but that's something nobody knows. If you don't get in this year, I would retake the DAT and destroy it since you know what's up with it now. If you get at least a 20 on DAT, you'll be able to be in a position to say "kiss my a$$" to some of these schools ur talking about. Also, regardless of what happens to your next DAT, apply on JUNE 1st. That just might be the most important thing you can do to improve ur chance in getting in. Good luck. ^^