Too late for me?

Started by lawvsmed
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

lawvsmed

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Im in my second year of undergrad and have decided that my real dream is to become a Pediatrician. The problem is, I dont have alot of science knowledge right now except some basic biology. I Haven't taken a science class since about sophmore year of high school and have not taken any thus far in college. But what I do have is great work ethic and huge ambition.

Do you think someone who starts his real science education in the beginning of college is "too late"?
 
Not at all. Plenty of people, myself included, didn't take any science classes during college and are instead going back for a year of science. You will probably end up with a gap year between college and medical school, but I'm sure you can think of something to do with that time. Don't take more than two of the prerequisite science classes at a time if you can avoid it, since the classes are difficult and you will need to do well in them. Start with general chemistry and possibly physics or biology next semester and go from there.
 
Not at all. Plenty of people, myself included, didn't take any science classes during college and are instead going back for a year of science. You will probably end up with a gap year between college and medical school, but I'm sure you can think of something to do with that time. Don't take more than two of the prerequisite science classes at a time if you can avoid it, since the classes are difficult and you will need to do well in them. Start with general chemistry and possibly physics or biology next semester and go from there.

Thank you very much for the informative and encouraging reply.

I have been planning to Biology and Gen Chem I next semester, so I am glad that coincides with your advise!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Im in my second year of undergrad and have decided that my real dream is to become a Pediatrician. The problem is, I dont have alot of science knowledge right now except some basic biology. I Haven't taken a science class since about sophmore year of high school and have not taken any thus far in college. But what I do have is great work ethic and huge ambition.

Do you think someone who starts his real science education in the beginning of college is "too late"?

I started off as a music major, but then heard about music therapy which sounded kind of crazy but I wanted to find out more. I looked into it and human anatomy was a pre-requisite. At that point I had already taken 3 semesters, but when I took human anatomy in my 4th semester I knew that I wanted to do something in the medical field. So here's +1 for not finding out we wanted to become doctors until well into college.
 
Im in my second year of undergrad and have decided that my real dream is to become a Pediatrician. The problem is, I dont have alot of science knowledge right now except some basic biology. I Haven't taken a science class since about sophmore year of high school and have not taken any thus far in college. But what I do have is great work ethic and huge ambition.

Do you think someone who starts his real science education in the beginning of college is "too late"?

Hey, I went into undergrad as an econ major. After a year of sorta thinking about med school I made up my mind going into sophomore year. I hadn't taken a single AP science class in high school and had almost 0 physics background. I'm far from the perfect applicant, but i'm proud of what I've done academically-- applying with a 3.98, 40 now. Just do your best. Sometimes I think back to when I didn't believe I could do it because I had such a mediocre science background and I'm really glad I took the risk.
 
you are in luck, my friend. this is the perfect time to decide. however, please keep in mind, once you do start your premed courses, you need to be getting straight A's with how competitive it has become as of late.
 
Im in my second year of undergrad and have decided that my real dream is to become a Pediatrician. The problem is, I dont have alot of science knowledge right now except some basic biology. I Haven't taken a science class since about sophmore year of high school and have not taken any thus far in college. But what I do have is great work ethic and huge ambition.

Do you think someone who starts his real science education in the beginning of college is "too late"?

This is so vague. Are you 80 years old and in your second year of undergrad? I DON'T KNOW.

😕