Too late for taking DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lindell12a

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've just recently changed my life aim and am wanting to apply for Dental School. However, looking at preparation for the DAT, I know I'm not going to feel comfortable taking it until maybe the end of October/early November. If I have everything else on my application ready to go, is this going to hurt me?

I don't know, this has got me down :(. Hopefully taking it then will be OK? Any thoughts are appreciated and thank you all in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I've just recently changed my life aim and am wanting to apply for Dental School. However, looking at preparation for the DAT, I know I'm not going to feel comfortable taking it until maybe the end of October/early November. If I have everything else on my application ready to go, is this going to hurt me?

I don't know, this has got me down :(. Hopefully taking it then will be OK? Any thoughts are appreciated and thank you all in advance.

You are in a tough situation. I think if you do well on the DAT (21+) and have a decent GPA then you still have a shot. Keep in mind that if you take your DAT then, your earliest interviews probably wont be until late Jan/early Feb or so. Provided that if you do well, you most likely will get waitlisted first, then get accepted later.

Hey! i posted a similar post..and everyone said it was late to take it then..however i say u go for it..i think its better u take ur time and be prepared then take it early and do bad!

You are in a tough situation. I think if you do well on the DAT (21+) and have a decent GPA then you still have a shot. Keep in mind that if you take your DAT then, your earliest interviews probably wont be until late Jan/early Feb or so. Provided that if you do well, you most likely will get waitlisted first, then get accepted later.

Sorry for my ignorance, I'm a little bit confused about the application process...are there secondary applications after I send in my primary one? And after I send in my secondaries and my DAT scores come in, is that when I would start being called in for interviews?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! i posted a similar post..and everyone said it was late to take it then..however i say u go for it..i think its better u take ur time and be prepared then take it early and do bad!

:oops: Thanks for your kind words. Yeah, my only choice is to take it then. I'd rather take it later and do well than take it sooner and do horribly.

Sorry for my ignorance, I'm a little bit confused about the application process...are there secondary applications after I send in my primary one? And after I send in my secondaries and my DAT scores come in, is that when I would start being called in for interviews?

It actually depends on the school. Some schools will request you to mail them the secondaries app. along with fees after they notify you.
This lists includes LLU, Nova, UCSF, UCLA, Creighton, Midwestern, ASDOH, Temple and probably some more but I cannot remember.
Others will instruct you to send the app. fee as soon as you can, you can go onto AADSAS or schoosl website to check since its different for each school.