too late for this fall?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aznsfla

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Just curious...i am a dental applicant....i have a sub 3 gpa but scored fairly well on the DAT's 21/21/19....i got couple of interviews and am on waitlist...but i wanna plan ahead....is it too late to apply to a SMP or post bac this year??...also how hard would it be for me to gain an acceptance...thanks all....

Members don't see this ad.

from what i hear, its not impossible but your chances are definitely leaning towards the crap side. which post bacs are u planning to apply to? if its gtown, drexel, finch, their deadline isnt until june 1. actually, drexel is july 1 (i think) but they say spots often fill up way before the deadline. but then again, i hear stories of ppl getting in 3 day before the first day of classes. (they of course applied late). make sure the postbacs u are applying to accept DAT scores. I dont know about drexel, gtown and finch- from what i've read they want either mcats or gre.

Since you're a dental applicant, you might want to consider the SMP at UMDNJ-Newark:
http://www.umdnj.edu/gsbsnweb/adm/msbsflier.htm

The website mentions that you can even take dental physiology (perhaps some other classes with dental students as well).

Search for some of the old UMDNJ threads on this forum to see some of the pros and cons of the program.

Deadline is July 1. They do accept the DAT.

Also look into BU...I think they take the DAT too, if I remember correctly.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Phil...that helps a lot.....are there any other programs aside from bu and UMDNJ? my sub 3.0 is gonna hurt my chances....any advice will be very helpful... Ill start working on these apps and hopefully get them out by this weekend.....

oh yeah...on the bu website..it says you need a 3.3 ...is that the case?...if so im f'ed....

Phil Anthropist said:
Since you're a dental applicant, you might want to consider the SMP at UMDNJ-Newark:
http://www.umdnj.edu/gsbsnweb/adm/msbsflier.htm

The website mentions that you can even take dental physiology (perhaps some other classes with dental students as well).

Search for some of the old UMDNJ threads on this forum to see some of the pros and cons of the program.

Deadline is July 1. They do accept the DAT.

Also look into BU...I think they take the DAT too, if I remember correctly.

Good luck!

aznsfla said:
Thanks Phil...that helps a lot.....are there any other programs aside from bu and UMDNJ? my sub 3.0 is gonna hurt my chances....any advice will be very helpful... Ill start working on these apps and hopefully get them out by this weekend.....

oh yeah...on the bu website..it says you need a 3.3 ...is that the case?...if so im f'ed....
Loma Linda's biomed certificate (one year), Nova Master of Biomedical Sciences (two years, I think the deadline has passed), Kirksville's MS in Biomedical Sciences (typically two years, deadline is April 1 or when the class fills), PCOM biomed certificate (1 year) / master's (2 years), University of South Carolina Master of Biomedical Sciences (2 years), VCU/MCV premed certificate (1 year) / masters programs (2 years), Case Western MS in Applied Anatomy (1 year, if it still exists as a standalone program), take the DAT as well. Some have 3.0 guideline cutoffs. You might want to call and check to see how strict those guidelines are before you send out those applications and application fees. ;)

Good luck!