Too late to apply DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

liftingNsushi

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a MD reapplicant and new to DO. Is it too late to apply this cycle?

MCAT 515
GPA 3.8
MN Resident
Asian

Which schools to avoid due to my late timeline?

Members don't see this ad.

Your app would not be reviewed till January at the earliest and most DO schools require a physician letter of recommendation (which MD applicants usually don’t need to get).

It would be better to wait till next cycle in my opinion, especially if you don’t have the letter.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I persoanlly don't think you are going to need DO school applications. YOu have good stats

Reactions: 2 users
You have decent stats. I would honestly wait to prepare your application for next cycle and apply to both MD and DO schools early. If you decide to do this, I would go ahead and shadow a physician now and try to get an LOR before the following cycle (if you don't get accepted this MD cycle).

How many schools did you apply to in the previous cycle and how many interviews did you received? if you have not done so already, create a What Are My Chances post at: What Are My Chances? WAMC Medical.

Add more MD schools, including safety schools in the next cycle and apply more broadly. You should be successful, unless you have a red flag, poor ECs, and/or bad at writing and interviewing. GL.

You should apply for two reasons. First of all, many DO schools review applications all the way until late April. So it wouldn't be late to apply now. Second of all, although you have good stats, you're Asian, so your stats might not be good enough. Either way, it is not a guarantee that you'll end up accepted by just applying to MD schools. (anyone who says otherwise are either lying to you or not in touch with reality). The safe bet would just be to apply to both.