Sep 11, 2012
Status
Pre-Dental
Hey guys, I just asked my professors for letters of rec a few weeks ago, and am planning on having them all in by Thanksgiving. My AADSAS is already done and is just waiting on the letters/transcripts to be received. Is there any point in me still applying this cycle? Should I just have my profs wait until next year?

Stats: GPA 3.54 (sci GPA similar)
DAT AA/TS/PAT : 24/22/25
45 shadowing hours

I was going to apply to Louisville, NYU, UConn, UOP, UCLA

Thoughts?
Thanks in advance for the advice!

Slumber

Hear Me Roar!
7+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2011
The Big Apple
Status
Pre-Dental
Not too familiar with Louisville and UCLA, but it's pretty much a no go at this point for both UoP and Uconn. Both are highly competitive, UoP because of the 3yrs program and Uconn because of the small class. Thanksgiving is extremely late into this cycle (less than a week away from the Dec 2nd date), if you insist on applying, then apply to some private schools such as NYU, Tufts and etc because these schools have larger classes and I know Tufts conducts a lots of post December interviews.

y3nd0

Kitteh likes to stare
7+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2012
Status
Dental Student
Wait until next year and your chances will be a lot better. And if 45 hours is all you have for shadowing (or EC's), I'd recommend taking this time to beef that up.

About the Ads

Glimmer1991

7+ Year Member
May 5, 2012
NC
Status
Dental Student
I don't even know if UConn is still interviewing...

Also, UoP just finalized their schedule for January dates and will probably be sending out invites soon (if they haven't started already).

gn4

5+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2013
Status
Dental Student
with those stats, I'd apply if you really want to get in this cycle. I'm sure you could get into NYU. UoP and UCLA and UConn will be harder to get into though.

Oct 2, 2013
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
You should throw in Columbia. You stand a really good chance of getting into Columbia with that good DAT score (its all they care about)

Jan 28, 2013
Status
I would wait until next year. You're almost guaranteed to get in somewhere with your stats but only if you are competing for fresh seats. Right now you are basically fighting for scraps (post december interviews) and it will be tough. I personally applied very early and got a good number of early interviews, but I still have 11 pending schools that I've yet to hear from for post-december interviews, and I have higher stats than you. Plus on the app it asks you if you've ever applied for D school in the past, and it looks a lot better if you say no. Good luck regardless of your decision.

y3nd0

Kitteh likes to stare
7+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2012
Status
Dental Student
with those stats, I'd apply if you really want to get in this cycle. I'm sure you could get into NYU. UoP and UCLA and UConn will be harder to get into though.
Not necessarily, if your statement is based on OP's stats. I have higher/similar stats, applied fifth batch and have yet to hear back from the school.

Reactions: gn4

doc toothache

10+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2006
Status
Dentist
When DAT scores has dean's of admission drooling, it is not unusually to get a detour to the shortest line. However, come Dec 1, the number of schools accepting applications declines significantly.

gn4

5+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2013
Status
Dental Student
Not necessarily, if your statement is based on OP's stats. I have higher/similar stats, applied fifth batch and have yet to hear back from the school.
Oh wow, I didn't know that. Yea, I was going just based on his DAT scores

n1003

5+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2013
Status
Dental Student
I think you should give it a try, you'll never know :)
It's always ideal to have your AADSAS sent out as early as possible, but sometimes things happen. I didn't feel like I was ready for DAT, so I waited until late September to take it. My AADSAS was mailed out on 10/25, and I felt horrible for it was already too late in the cycle. God was good, and I was beyond grateful to receive 2 interview invitations.
My DAT scores were lower than yours btw.
I wish you the best of luck!

Sep 26, 2013
Status
Hey guys, I just asked my professors for letters of rec a few weeks ago, and am planning on having them all in by Thanksgiving. My AADSAS is already done and is just waiting on the letters/transcripts to be received. Is there any point in me still applying this cycle? Should I just have my profs wait until next year?

Stats: GPA 3.54 (sci GPA similar)
DAT AA/TS/PAT : 24/22/25
45 shadowing hours

I was going to apply to Louisville, NYU, UConn, UOP, UCLA

Thoughts?
Thanks in advance for the advice!
Not too familiar with Louisville and UCLA, but it's pretty much a no go at this point for both UoP and Uconn. Both are highly competitive, UoP because of the 3yrs program and Uconn because of the small class. Thanksgiving is extremely late into this cycle (less than a week away from the Dec 2nd date), if you insist on applying, then apply to some private schools such as NYU, Tufts and etc because these schools have larger classes and I know Tufts conducts a lots of post December interviews.

May I ask a stupid question? What is UOP stand for? Seems that many university called UOP. :(

About the Ads