Too late to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Killer12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wasn't planning on applying this year, but recently had a change of heart. I'm wondering is it too late to apply, will my application get some real consideration being submitted in mid-september/early october? I think I have some competitive stats, but they're also a little old. Thank you in advance for any advice!

GPA - 3.77 (graduated may 2014)
MCAT - 32 (July 2013)

Members don't see this ad.

I should say - I applied for 2014 matriculation to only MD schools and did not get an acceptance. I think I'm more suited for DO schools now and I'm not as familiar with the process.

All DO schools are well within reach for you. A DO letter of rec will help tremendously to show you are interested (hopefully you have shadowed one).

Members don't see this ad :)
it's not too late (DO has a later process than MD) as i'm certain you will garner an acceptance to some of the top DO schools if you finish your secondaries by this year, but don't procrastinate. start on your LOR submission and transcript submission right now. the aacomas-do process is conceptually and procedurally nearly identical to amcas-md process. an MD/DO letter is a must with the latter being the best (some schools outright require a DO letter). you also need to remember to go to mcat-thx to send your mcat score to aacomas as it isn't automatically retrieved like amcas. other than that nearly everything else is identical. research your schools well *check if your mcat is still valid for each school.

Reactions: 1 user
Wasn't planning on applying this year, but recently had a change of heart. I'm wondering is it too late to apply, will my application get some real consideration being submitted in mid-september/early october? I think I have some competitive stats, but they're also a little old. Thank you in advance for any advice!

MCAT - 32 (July 2013)

I would say try, you got great stats for DO schools, pretty much all the schools are within your reach, I am wondering why not try some MD schools?

I would say try, you got great stats for DO schools, pretty much all the schools are within your reach, I am wondering why not try some MD schools?

If OP wants in this year, it's probably not too late for DO schools, but it's getting pretty late for MD programs (to start the process, anyway).

If you feel like DO schools will be a good fit for you, that's great! There's time left this cycle but get going ASAP. It might still be worth applying to your state MD school with your stats, but I wouldn't spend the money widely on MD programs.

If OP wants in this year, it's probably not too late for DO schools, but it's getting pretty late for MD programs (to start the process, anyway).

If you feel like DO schools will be a good fit for you, that's great! There's time left this cycle but get going ASAP. It might still be worth applying to your state MD school with your stats, but I wouldn't spend the money widely on MD programs.

His stats are actually way above what the average DO student have at most DO schools, so I was just suggesting that he should also look at MD schools. I think he should aim for the more established DO schools.

His stats are actually way above what the average DO student have at most DO schools, so I was just suggesting that he should also look at MD schools. I think he should aim for the more established DO schools.

His stats are even above average for MD schools.

I have similar stats to OP but slightly lower(3.62 cGPA, 3.75 sGPA, 510 MCAT(I think 31 equivalent)). My AACOMAS is being verified, but I didnt apply MD because I figured it was too late and my stats are very borderline. Do you think it would be worth it to apply to my state MD schools(NY) if I can get the primary out tomorrow, and pre write secondaries so they are done when my AMCAS is verified? My transcripts have been received by AMCAS, and I entered all my course work in. I would just need to make my EC descriptions fit the AMCAS style.

I have similar stats to OP but slightly lower(3.62 cGPA, 3.75 sGPA, 510 MCAT(I think 31 equivalent)). My AACOMAS is being verified, but I didnt apply MD because I figured it was too late and my stats are very borderline. Do you think it would be worth it to apply to my state MD schools(NY) if I can get the primary out tomorrow, and pre write secondaries so they are done when my AMCAS is verified? My transcripts have been received by AMCAS, and I entered all my course work in. I would just need to make my EC descriptions fit the AMCAS style.

You might want to wait a cycle and apply both MD and DO next time around.

That way there will be no "what ifs" in the back of your brain once you get into a DO school. Of course, if you dont care or prefer DO, then by all means you can turn in your DO application now.

Its probably too late for MD this cycle.

You might want to wait a cycle and apply both MD and DO next time around.

That way there will be no "what ifs" in the back of your brain once you get into a DO school. Of course, if you dont care or prefer DO, then by all means you can turn in your DO application now.

Its probably too late for MD this cycle.

My DO app began the verification process in late August, so I should be complete at all DO schools by the end of this month. I dont care about MD vs DO much. The specialties Im interested in are IM, FM and EM. I have no desire to do what are considered the super competitive specialties. The one thing I DO care about is costs of school, and state MD wins out big time there. That being said in a hypothetical scenario where I have a choice between DO this cycle and MD next cycle, the lost year of physician's salary negates most of the savings associated with going to a state school over DO.

My DO app began the verification process in late August, so I should be complete at all DO schools by the end of this month. I dont care about MD vs DO much. The specialties Im interested in are IM, FM and EM. I have no desire to do what are considered the super competitive specialties. The one thing I DO care about is costs of school, and state MD wins out big time there. That being said in a hypothetical scenario where I have a choice between DO this cycle and MD next cycle, the lost year of physician's salary negates most of the savings associated with going to a state school over DO.

So in reality, you are ok with going with DO. Then you are good to go and apply this cycle along with applying to your state MD school.

You've answered your own question!

So in reality, you are ok with going with DO. Then you are good to go and apply this cycle along with applying to your state MD school.

You've answered your own question!

Well my question is more of is it worth it to spend the money on MD apps this late in the cycle.

Well my question is more of is it worth it to spend the money on MD apps this late in the cycle.

it's pretty late right now even if you had the transcripts already sent in. what state are you in?

Apply to your state MD school!!!
And DO!!

And other MD schools tbh, what do you have to lose? Except time....and money....lots of money

MCAT - 32 (July 2013)

If you're gunna apply, apply as soon as possible. My school (KCU) ended up filling the class around December (very similar to many MD schools) and did not start looking at the WL until the spring.

You have beast stats, you'll get in somewhere.

Would try for the more competitive DO programs like CCOM, Touro-CA, AZCOM, NYIT-COM, PCOM, Nova (NSU).

Good luck!

Apply to your state MD school!!!
And DO!!

And other MD schools tbh, what do you have to lose? Except time....and money....lots of money

Well lets say I apply MD as well and for whatever reason I dont get into any schools MD or DO this cycle. Not only would I be out the money but I would also be a re-applicant at not just the DO schools but also the MD schools. Also by applying just DO I can truthfully answer "no" if I get asked about if I applied MD(I heard they like to give this question to applicants with MD or borderline MD stats).