too late to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentist4ever1

Reaction score
hello i’m taking my exam this week. do you think it’s too late (as in low chances) of getting accepted if i apply this cycle? should i wait until next year and apply early? i don’t want to apply, not get in, then next year have to be a reapplicat

Members don't see this ad.

hello i’m taking my exam this week. do you think it’s too late (as in low chances) of getting accepted if i apply this cycle? should i wait until next year and apply early? i don’t want to apply, not get in, then next year have to be a reapplica
IMO, it is not too late to apply for most schools, it depends on the school. I have worked with students that have applied a lot later and were accepted into dental school. Put your focus now on scoring high on the DAT exam this week, that is what is most important at this time. Once you have completed the DAT you can research schools and their cutoffs etc.

Wishing you the best on your exam, #think30

Nancy, co/owner, Destroyers

IMO, it is not too late to apply for most schools, it depends on the school. I have worked with students that have applied a lot later and were accepted into dental school. Put your focus now on scoring high on the DAT exam this week, that is what is most important at this time. Once you have completed the DAT you can research schools and their cutoffs etc.

Wishing you the best on your exam, #think30

Nancy, co/owner, Destroyers

Agreed completely with this. Some schools (e.g. UConn, if I'm not mistaken) only accept applicants on December 1st, and therefore your chances at those schools would be slim. But there are plenty of other schools that do not follow the same policy, and you would still have a chance at those! You just need to do some research into the schools you want to apply to, and then make a decision based on that.

Do keep in mind that it is later in the cycle, regardless of the fact that you could be accepted still. Some schools will be less likely to look at you now. but not all will. If you have any doubt that one of your dream schools will be less likely to view your application, then it may be worth applying next cycle if going there is important to you. If that's not the case, full speed ahead and take on the DAT!

Hopefully this helps a bit. Best of luck!

Agreed completely with this. Some schools (e.g. UConn, if I'm not mistaken) only accept applicants on December 1st, and therefore your chances at those schools would be slim. But there are plenty of other schools that do not follow the same policy, and you would still have a chance at those! You just need to do some research into the schools you want to apply to, and then make a decision based on that.

Do keep in mind that it is later in the cycle, regardless of the fact that you could be accepted still. Some schools will be less likely to look at you now. but not all will. If you have any doubt that one of your dream schools will be less likely to view your application, then it may be worth applying next cycle if going there is important to you. If that's not the case, full speed ahead and take on the DAT!

Hopefully this helps a bit. Best of luck!
I agree with you Joe! I will add I had a student a few years ago took the DAT mid December applied to NYU and was accepted the next cycle. But the most important thing now if for you to Destroyer the DAT Beast.

Nancy

I applied late October, but I had very high scores back then and so things worked out.

Reactions: 1 user