MD Too late to switch into ortho?

Started by U23527
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

U23527

Of the Sharingan
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
USMD M3 student here a few days out from end of the year, was thinking of doing ENT for the longest time but found it really boring when I did my rotation in it. Then considered switching to rads bc I also found it interesting but thinking back, I actually loved my ortho rotation and was considering switching again. I really enjoy the OR and the procedures are something I would def miss if I went into rads. Would my app be competitive enough for a late switch? Here are my stats so far:

Clinical grades: 4H (IM and Surg included), 3HP, not sure about last rotation yet
Research: 5 pubs total, 3 in ENT, 2 other, 3 in process of submission, working on some MSK rads papers so hopefully good ortho overlap
6 posters at conferences
Volunteering: some here and there, maybe 4 experiences overall
STEP 1: Pass
STEP 2: Haven't taken yet, going thru uworld 2nd pass and at 83% rn so hopefully can score well on the real deal

Ik part of the equation is step 2 score, so it might be hard to say. Too late to switch now? Should I just stick with rads and just keep going? Would appreciate any feedback
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
unfortunately only neck up :/
That's too bad. Those beefy yellow pecs would assure your future.

Is it too late? Probably not, but you'll have to lock down some ortho sub-I's ASAP.

Also, orthopods work very, very hard (in training, at least). Going that route because you enjoy the OR and like procedures may be like swatting a mosquito with an F-150.
 
That's too bad. Those beefy yellow pecs would assure your future.

Is it too late? Probably not, but you'll have to lock down some ortho sub-I's ASAP.

Also, orthopods work very, very hard (in training, at least). Going that route because you enjoy the OR and like procedures may be like swatting a mosquito with an F-150.
i’ll get on the gym grind then haha

thanks for your reply tho! i’ll look into getting some more ortho electives/aways. also i’m totally aware of how brutal the residency is, got to work with residents on my ortho rotation and did similar hours to them (albeit with weekends), i am okay with making the sacrifice for ortho tho, i really didn’t mind being at the hospital early and leaving late bc the procedures and people were really great
 
Dude eras opens in a few mos...

If u really want ortho u would very likely need a research year.. not for pubs, but for networking

Step 2 is just a cutoff, a checkmark. I know many 260s going unmatched and ppl w 230s 240s matching bc they have strong relationships w mentors over years.

Full disclosure I am applying ortho this cycle, but even I wish I had networked more like my classmates who been working on projects with the same mentor since ms1. Good luck if u apply. While not impossible by any means, the ppl I know who got in w no research/no mentors were URM + women