Too late to switch to Ortho?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aj1024

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a 4th year medical student that is in the process of applying to IM. I was torn between ortho and IM during the end of my 4th year. I finally decided on IM with the plan of going into cardio because I thought it would be a better lifestyle choice. I've been getting IM interviews at some top programs around the nation and haven't been very excited about it, which has made me seriously second guess my choice. I have also realized that cardio probably isn't much of a better lifestyle than ortho. During the past few months I have really missed ortho and not being in the OR during my 4th year rotations.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Choosing between ortho and IM is an odd choice. What brought you to that point? I would not base your decision on perceived lifestyle. Within any specialty you can find work that is better or worse for lifestyle. Do the thing that you want to do that will make the hours you work the most enjoyable, not the thing you think will have the least hours. Otherwise go back to school for investment banking or something like that.

I'm currently a 4th year medical student that is in the process of applying to IM. I was torn between ortho and IM during the end of my 4th year. I finally decided on IM with the plan of going into cardio because I thought it would be a better lifestyle choice. I've been getting IM interviews at some top programs around the nation and haven't been very excited about it, which has made me seriously second guess my choice. I have also realized that cardio probably isn't much of a better lifestyle than ortho. During the past few months I have really missed ortho and not being in the OR during my 4th year rotations.

Yeah, I feel like it's a little late at this point.

And I agree that Ortho vs IM is a real weird decision point.

Reactions: 1 user
Ortho is mad competitive. Seems quite late to change as applications have been sent. Also, you need at a minimum 1 but preferably two letters from ortho peeps. If money isn't a problem for you, no harm in applying and seeing what happens, but still go to your IM interviews.